Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-week old crying for hours

Default 8-week old crying for hours

Help! Our 8-wk old daughter has started crying in the evenings but it goes on for hours - I mean she starts late afternoon and carries on till 2am sometimes. Last night she seemed to be frantically trying to feed all the time - snuffling and turning her head. I had milk but after several hours I felt thoroughly exhausted and resentful. Sometimes it's clear she has colic, but last night it wasn't clear that she was in pain. I've stopped eating dairy, wheat, pulses and anything from the cabbage family to help with the colic, don't feel I can cut anything else out. She is pretty windy and often seems to struggle to poo.

I've a toddler who wakes at 6 so no chance of a lie-in or sleep during day, and getting desperate. Anyone have any ideas what's going on? Massive growth spurt? She's gaining weight well, sleeps in sling during day but every time I take her out she starts crying before long so I tend to put her back in sling for a lot of the day
    Mama to Iris and Jess, learning to take it all more slowly b

Default Re: 8-week old crying for hours

It sounds more like colic to me. Both my kids have been evening fussers, and my second-born would sometimes go until 1 in the morning. It was awful! But also temporary. Here's what helped us:
    - Nurse. Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse. I know it's tiring to have an hourS-long nursathon, but it's better than screaming!
    - Closesness. Wear baby in a sling.
    - Motion. Rock in a rocking chair, sway, bounce on an exercise ball, swing in a swing, ride in a car or stroller, etc.
    - White noise.
    - Calm house. Keep the lights, tv, and stereo low or, preferably, off.
    - Warm bath.
    - Fresh air. My kids would quiet down the moment we stepped outside. Walk your LO down to the local henge and let the celestial vibrations do their magic (sorry, I couldn't resist the joke when I saw where you live!).
    - Time. If this is colic, it's a developmental thing and it will eventually pass. Both my girls pretty much stopped their colicky behavior by 3 months of age.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

BTDT. My oldest started his fussy period "when the shadows came" in late afternoon and went to about midnight. Ugh. Can you get any help, even just occasionally, either to walk or rock baby at night for a time for you so you can take a break, or to take care of your toddler in the AM so you can lie in? Colic is so very stressful and exhausting. Time to call in reinforcements if at all possible!

Unless you have seen improvement with the diet changes, I would suggest that is not necessary. If it is a dietary issue (very rare and colic/gassyness alone is not evidence of food allergy) best to use a systematic protocol for eliminating things from your diet one at a time, seeing if there is improvement, and, if there is not, then trying something else while putting the other food back in so you do not end up with nothing to eat. Usually it is recommended to start the elimination with dairy, as that is the usual culprit (although, again, even milk proteins are only an issue rarely) and to eliminate it for at least two weeks.

Thank you for feedback on this...yes, was suspicious it was colic even though not screaming with pain like we sometimes see her do. I guess the suckling helps relieve the symptoms and that's why she is so frantic about it. DH was worrying she might be needing more milk. Tonight, so far, peaceful....

Haven't tried warm bathing but will do next time. And will psyche up for a nursathon, though last night she was so tired, and possibly frustrated, that she wasn't latching properly, just popping on and off and turning her head frantically. Would go outside but difficult when weather is bad, though hopefully will get better soon and one of us can enjoy a midnight walk with her in sling. Yep, could take her up the Tor...remember walking up there with her big sis when she was a few months old, once in my pyjamas in the early hours! Three months...OK....can get through another month. Our elder daughter also had terrible colic though was slightly different. Def wheat, dairy, brassicas and pulses set her off. She's just turned 3 and growing out of those intolerances only now.

THanks for the support ladies...

x

If your DH starts worrying about your LO needing more milk, you may be able to reassure him with data. If a baby is having the right number of wet diapers per day (handy reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ughmilk-older/), then she is getting plenty to eat. If it's coming out at one end, you know it has to be going in at the other!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for posting this question. My baby is 8 weeks also and we have nights that are the exact same way, and I also have a daughter that I need to drop off and pick up from school so sleeping when baby sleeps is not always possible.
    We were up with him until 1am then he is up between 4:30-5 and up until 7 then wakes up again at 9 and is basiclly up all day with short 30-45min breaks. This is the usual routine with him now and it's super frustrating that I need to be up at 7:30 to make sure my daughter is at school on time. What's helping me cope is not being afraid to express my frustrations, bottling them up tends to make it harder to relax and sleep when you do get the option. I was also told by his pediatrician that if the crying gets too bad that it is ok for you to place baby in a safe room and leave for a while to calm down. Sometimes all baby needs is some quiet time be themselves too.

Just wanted to add some encouragement. My LO used to do this in the late afternoons and evenings, and mostly grew out of it by the time he was 3 months old. It sounds like colic. Agree with the others that the dietary restrictions probably aren't necessary except possibly dairy. Our LO's are born with an immature gut and don't develop peristalsis (the regular contractions that move food along in the gut) until around 3 months of age. So gas/wind can make them very uncomfortable until then as they have a hard time getting it out. I saw a big improvement in DS' gas and fussiness right around 3 months; he stopped crying every time he needed to poop. If your LO is 8 weeks, you're almost there. Hope it turns a corner for you soon!

This is tough! I've been lucky with my first 2 and hoping for continued luck here with my third, but my niece had this behavior.... horrible!
    Often these are symptoms of overstimulation too. Try to keep her days a little quieter... not too much play, noisy toys etc. Also... we've used a warm cherry stone pack. We warmed it in the micro for a few minutes and set it on DHs tummy when he started to fuss and the soothing effect was truly a wonder.

Hope things settle down for you all soon!!

Agree with previous post about the warm pack on the tummy - worked for my LO, as well as raising the end of her bed with a phone book or two (we suspected she had a bit of reflux as well). You might also try a combination of swaddling, lying her on her side and 'jiggling' - so with you sitting down, lie your LO on her side and along your arms so that her head is in your hands and her feet are in your elbows. Rest your arms along your legs, then move your legs gently from side to side so that her body just gently bobs back and forth (bit like a plate of jello). When my LO was on her side (and at just the right angle - experiment to see what works, might need to face a little towards the floor) and we would rock her like this she would really calm down a lot. We could also get her to sleep more easily when we had her lying on her tummy over our legs with a bit of gentle rocking and rubbing/patting her back.
    One other suggestion is to consider seeing a chiropractor, they can sometimes relieve colic very quickly with a gentle adjustment (basically just a bit of gentle pressure with their thumb in the right spot).
    Big hugs to you, it's so hard when you aren't able to get any sleep, I hope you get some relief soon xx

Thanks for sharing all your experiences,it so helps to know we aren't alone, and ideas for helping. Lying her along an arm, with the heel of my hand firmly in her tum, and legs held gently bent seems to help. And agreed about the overstimulation - sometimes she seems to get thro the colic and is then just tired n wired so won't sleep. Took her to a craniosacral appointment yesterday. Had couple hours crying last night then explosive poos this morning, let's hope tonight is calm. DH is reassured

Have also just left her a couple times to go to loo/get a moment's break and once she did actually fall asleep straight away on her own

Also- weird n wonderful tip wd love to know if works for anyone else - the track "Kelly Watch the Stars" by Air has soothed both our colicky babes to some extent....