Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Re-lactation for a pre-schooler

Default Re: Re-lactation for a pre-schooler

Thank you so much too sch.mommy - I was typing my last reply before I saw yours. I think that is also a very good point, especially because of the complicating factor of the medications. Thank you for the hug too x

Most of infantrisk's info is only available over the phone. Whether or not there website is helpful, if you call, they can help you. They're used to Mom's nursing older kids, also. They will be supportive.

ETA: they can give you specific advice about your situation. They take your child's age, weight, and frequency of nursing into account.
    Last edited by @llli*TimsMom; April 19th, 2012 at 08:59 AM.

At this point, she would be taking in so little milk that it probably wouldn't affect her. Find the phone number on infant risk and call if you are interested. I went on some medicine after I thought my son had weaned at 3 years and he wanted to nurse. I asked my doctor and she told me that at that point, he'd be taking in so little milk that the small amount he could possibly get wouldn't harm him. Mind you, my meds were not the same as yours.

ETA: if you decide not to relaxtate or let her comfort nurse, there are other ways to bond. Special time with just you and her doing activities that you do with no one else. "spa time"- wash her hair, rub lotion on each other, paint nails, massages, etc., talk about your days before bed, "dates" with just the two of you, there are so many ways to bond.
    Last edited by @llli*juno; April 19th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Whatever you decide to do, stop beating yourself up mama. My 3.5 year old nursed until she was 25 months old and wants to nurse sometimes because she sees her 15 month old sister nursing. We "pretend" nurse and she is fine with that. I'm just saying this because I know you feel that you cheated her - which you didn't - but she doesn't feel that way. I think she's doing a normal thing, preschoolers like to play being a baby and she is seeing babies nurse.

This is not to say that I think you should not relactate - you should do what you wish to and I don't think it would be weird or inappropriate. And I agree with TimsMom that you should call infantrisk and also with juno that the amount of milk would be minimal, so you likely wouldn't transfer anything.

Have you let her try to nurse? Maybe that would be a place to start. Then you could see how you both feel about it and if you want to go to the considerable effort it would be to relactate.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Well, if you decide to nurse, honestly, it's no one's business. Very few people know that my daughter "still" nurses at 33 months, just the people who are really supportive of toddler nursing really. She doesn't nurse outside of the house so really no one has to be privy to that information. Not that I'm ashamed of it but I don't want anyone being rude in front of her, and she only nurses in the morning, before nap and at bedtime, not exactly social out and about situations anyway. If she gets upset in public and wants nummies (which she really rarely asks for outside the home because she has heard "nummies at home" many times) I would give her a hug and kiss and some non-nursing comfort.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I believe it is entirely normal for your child to show interest in your breasts, in nursing, or wishing to be comforted by touching your breasts, post-weaning, especially if there are nursing babies around arousing this curiosity. But is it necessary to relactate to meet her needs? That, I wonder about. Certainly I don’t think there is anything wrong with nursing a three year old (or older for that matter,) I’ve done it myself. But the effort on both your parts would be great and I am not sure that is necessarily what your daughter needs. She may just need her curiosity met and/or to be reassured she is loved just as much as the cute babies she sees. Kids can feel somewhat displaced by babies even if it’s not a sibling, as well as of course being fascinated by babies & what they do.

I once 'surveyed' many fellow LLL Leaders about this issue to answer a question for a mom, who was concerned that her weaned 2 year old was doing something odd by wishing to hold her breast when he fell asleep or needed comfort. Based on the answers I got, some from Leaders who had weaned 'early' due to various issues, some who had nursed a very long time, some who were mothering adopted children and may or may not have nursed them, etc., we came to the conclusion that wishing to touch moms breasts, try to nurse after weaning, having curiosity about nursing, etc, was normal early childhood behavior.
    And I imagine this comes up for some kids more often if they (luckily, I believe) have exposure to nursing as a normal, healthy part of babyhood and early childhood. What kid does not at times wish to act like a baby? And for many kids, that means nursing!

Anyway, it is not going to hurt your daughter (imo) to let her “try” to nurse, to see or touch your breasts, to discuss nursing & weaning in a matter of fact way, etc. You may have to explain you don’t have milk, because she is a big girl and eats lots of different food now. Certainly that is true enough, and would even be true if she had nursed a long time but had now weaned. You could also talk to her about her own baby hood and (with a positive spin) your experience nursing her. I think your daughter is just showing normal curiosity and not necessarily is this behavior based on some deep need that was not met.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 19th, 2012 at 11:57 PM.

Posting again to say I hope my post did not come off as discouraging. I believe very strongly in the benefits of natural length nursing and natural weaning. I think relactation is very possible, and while I am not sure if your child would be able to learn again to nurse at this point, that is always part of the the gamble with relactation. I think you know yourself and your child best and you will know what is best for you both.

I agree with some of the previous posts about maybe letting her try first. My DS is almost 2 but was weaned at 13 months, since his sister was born he has been curious about it but has never done more than touch his lips or open mouth to the nipple. I'd hate to go to all that work for her to never latch. Good luck with whatever you decide
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

Just know, as others have said, that it is perfectly normal for your daughter to be curious about nursing after seeing the baby. I am still nursing my 2 year old, but there are many moms in our playgroup who have newborns as well, and their older kids have weaned or were bottle fed formula. *All* of these big siblings have asked to nurse after the seeing the baby nurse. Surprisingly, when some of them do taste the milk, their moms have heard "Yuck! I don't like it anymore". (Which was shocking for the BF'ing moms to hear!) It's more about the curiosity and imitation than the actual milk consumption for those kids.

Other moms are pregnant, and their milk is gone. They were fully planning on nursing throughout their pregnancy, but their bodies had other plans. Don't feel guilty about not nursing your daughter after your accident. It sounds like it was a horrible time; you had multiple surgeries and medications.

We are all here for you, however you decide to proceed!