Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What else can I do?

Default Re: What else can I do?

It can take a week or more to increase supply via pumping alone.

Do you eat oatmeal?

And honestly, that is a normal amount to pump.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thankyou thats what I needed to hear. I felt inadequate not being able to pump the big amounts.

Great job! It took me two weeks of additional, consistent pumping to really see a boost. If you pump on your way to work, you will get even more. It may not be a lot at first but within a week or two of consistent pumping, I bet you will be up to the amount she eats.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*b.smom View Post
    Thankyou thats what I needed to hear. I felt inadequate not being able to pump the big amounts.
    Everybody thinks they should be able to pump huge amounts. It's not the case.
    A) BF babies don't need a lot. Your milk composition changes to meet baby's needs by becoming more concentrated as time goes by. Most BF babies never take more than 3-4 oz in a sitting.
    2) most moms make 1-2 oz per hour. Because that is what baby would be drinking from mom.

Being able to pump more than that is actually an oversupply. Useful, yes, but it has its own set of issues.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!