Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What else can I do?

Default What else can I do?

So when I pump at work I only get about 1oz from each side per pumping. I pump when I get to work which is a little over an hour after I nurse my LO before I drop her off at the sitter, then about 3 more times while I'm at work so total a little over 6oz per day. I do compressions while I'm pumping, and then hand express afterwards.
    I do rush my pumpings totaling out a little over 10 min for my pumping, I'm not getting anymore if I go longer (I'm a vet tech and feel bad leaving everbody waiting for me to come back) So maybe I'm a little stressed while I do it and who enjoys pumping.
    Just wondering if this is normal, should I be worried? Anything else that I could do to get a little more production. I am taking 1/2 the recommended dose of fenugreek just to pump it up a little bit.
    I just read of people who are getting 3oz per pumping and I'm no where close to that.
    Thanks in advance,

Default Re: What else can I do?

How long are you away from your baby and how much is she drinking?

You really should pump longer. I realize you're in a high stress work environment, but this is a blip in time for your career.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I never get much in the first 10 mins of pumping - it really comes out after tat. I discovered 26 was a good amount of time for me. I realize you may not easily get tat much, but that's when I got my 4 oz, so you might need to reassess your pumping set up.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I second trying to increase your pumping time to at least 15 minutes. What kind of pump are you using? One option is to rent a hospital grade and tote that to work. You could rent it for just one month and see if it helps. I am doing that even though I own a PISA because it is faster and I get more out of it.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I'm a veterinarian, and you can take the time. Maybe pump during down time during the day. I had the staff block off times for me, and while I was pumping, they did other things that did not require me to be present. It lets you have time for a second letdown. besides, what about smoke breaks? I had a couple staff members who took frequent smoke breaks, and it totaled way more time than that.

Is that a total of 10 minutes, or 10 minutes per pumping? Either way, it's still not long enough. You are risking some long term damage to your supply. You are subbing a pump for half the day. If you were EPing, you would need to pump for 120 minutes a day. You should shoot for longer than 30 minutes.

Also, what kind of pump do you have?

I use a hands free bra and work on charts and callbacks while pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have a Medela pump in style. It's 10 min of straight pumping that's not setting up and cleaning up afterwards. If I go longer than 10 min I really don't see anything. at home I've gone 15-20 min and I still don't see anything. I'll try to increase my pumping time hopefully that will change and I'm going to get a little bit more. I'm away from my daughter about 10 hours. The sitter says she only eats about 3oz per feeding. DD will be 12 weeks next week.
    I'm probably not giving myself enough time because I'm stressing about getting back and not leaving everyone hanging, I also don't get paid for my pumping breaks so its also the money factor (I only work 3 days a week). So I guess it's a lot of stress and I can't relax during the pumpings.

Even if you're not seeing much, longer pumping at work could help your body get the signal to produce more the next day. I usually pumped 20-30 minutes. I agree that 10 minutes just isn't enough, hopefully you'll get a bit more if you keep up the longer pumpings for a couple days (it can take a week to see a difference in supply).

I used to read a book, listen to music, and try to relax during pumping sessions. Obviously, life is hectic, and "trying to relax" is not always productive. But, nonetheless, I made it a point to do relaxing things while pumping, even if I wasn't feeling so relaxed that day. I definitely think that coming to terms with pumping breaks will help you. Just block out that time, accept you won't be getting paid for that (still, you don't have to spend money on formula, either!), and try to breathe. Everyone can wait.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

It could also be the settings on your pump. My lactation consultant helped me pump once, and she was adjusting the suction (harder)/speed (slower) 10 minutes into my session. When I'm pumping alone, however, I just keep it at a gentle 43% and at a slightly fast tempo for the entire session. Remember to pump to your comfort - if you aren't comfortable, your body might not be releasing the milk as quick as you like.

When I was using my Ameda Purely Yours (small compact/portable pump), I was only getting 1-2 ounces out of a session - just like you. Even hand expressing didn't help increase the output. Then I rented a hospital grade pump and I'm now able to get 2.5-3 ounces per breast. My breasts usually releases milk within the first 5 minutes... then I have to wait and continue to pump until about 15 minutes for the 2nd release. I pump for 20 minutes (yes, sometimes I can only spare 10 minutes at work, but when I'm home and have time... I always aim for 20 minutes minimum), then handexpress/massage for about another 3-5 minutes.

The hospital grade pump is also a lot more comfortable then the store purchased one. The suction feels a lot more powerful, yet it doesn't pinch or have that annoying chuga-chuga motar sound. (Hospital pump has a woosh woosh sound, imho)

Just today, after I finished pumping. I sorta rolled my shoulders back and sighed for a moment as I relaxed (it was very early in the morning and I was tired). Just the act of relaxing caused my breasts to letdown and I had milk spurting out of my right nipple like the Fountain of Youth!! You can try it sometime... heehee
    Proud of Baby

If you are pumping for a totals of 10 minutes a day, it is not nearly enough time, and it can hurt your supply long term, even though you aren't working too much.

Yeah, you aren't being paid, but you won't be buying cams of formula at $20 a can
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Just an update, I've been pumping longer 15min at least and sometimes 20min during lunch I have multiple letdowns (before I was only getting one) but am still only seeing 1-1.5oz per side. I'm gone from little girl about 10 hours. I have noticed a slight increase as it takes me only 4 pumpings to get the 9-10oz vs the 5 pumpings it was taking me before. I have a hands free bra on order hopefully it will be here next week so that I can pump to and from work. Am I just one of those people that won't ever pump a lot. Little girl is always satisfied when we nurse, so I don't think there is low supply. She is drinking 3.5oz 4x a day at the sitters. I'm going to look into hospital grade rental, but money is definitly an issue right now.