Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ameda PY question

Default Ameda PY question

Hello all,

I recently returned to work this week and am doing two pumping sessions a day, one around 1030 and one around 230. I go the daycare to nurse over lunch

My question is when Im pumping I feel like there is more than enough suction on the left side, but not on my right side. Is that possible with the Ameda PY or is just me? I've played with the suction settings but I can't go too high or my left nipple will pay the price.

Just a little info- I call my right breast the eager beaver. Its always ready and full when I need it to be. My left, does the job but isnt overly eager like the right. However, when I pump, I get more from the left than I do the right. My left feels drained after a pumping session whereas my right feels like its not. I do compressions and such to help, but it just doesnt feel um, right.

Any suggestions? Im worried about my supply in my right breast if I don't get something figured out soon.

Thanks!

Default Re: Ameda PY question

Could it be the shield size? We're not all totally symmetrical, and it's not uncommon for a mom to need 2 different shield sizes in order to get maximum stimulation and milk removal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hmm, possibly. I can always try!

I have an Ameda PY, and I had a similar issue with feeling like there was more suction on one side than the other. I ended up replacing the tubing on both sides, and that seemed to fix the issue. If you look at your tubing, is the level of low suction consistently coming out of the same tube? That is, when you look at the set-up as it connects to the pump, is it always the tube on the right that seems to have low suction? If you don't normally pay attention to which tube attaches to the pump parts for which breast, you might want to do that for a day and see if that makes a difference. If it's one tube consistently, you may want to try switching out the pump parts on that side: the white piece, the diaphragm if needed, and then the tube itself. I also think mommal's suggesetion about the shield size is a good one.

I tend to have the opposite issue when pumping: I get more from the right side then the left. When I finish, I make sure to do hand expression on the left so that I empty that breast. (I do it on the right, too, but I need to do more hand expression on the left). So, you could try hand expressing on the right side after you pump in order to get the milk out and to drain the breast.
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

I will definately look into this. Im pretty it is the same tube since I never disconnect the tubing from the pump. I only disconnect the white piece that attaches to each shield so I can clean the parts. And when I pump, Im very particular about the lines not crossing and such so I always make sure the front one goes to the left, and the back one goes to the right. Im a bit OCD like that. lol

Thanks for the ideas!

I too thought it might be shield size. For months I used a 27mm on my left and a 30mm on my right. Checking out the tubing is also a good idea-there could be a puncture on one tube.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Wow are you my twin?!? I was going to post on this after lurking about for a while. I noticed that the diaphragm actually moves less but that the movement doesn't coincide with how strong the suction feels. I sorta snap the pieces back together and it seems to fix it for that session. It also doesn't happen every time. Anyways, sounds like new tubes. Thanks!
    Married to the best husband ever since Nov 2009
    DS born 1/7/12 at 36 wks after PROM and Gestational diabetes happy and healthy ~

Taking it one day at a time.

Currently and !!!

Mer.mer has a good point-- once you've got all the pieces assembled, try gently twisting the white caps at the top that connect to the tubes. Sometimes, they'll settle down a bit further, which can give you better suction. I've had to do that, too.

Good luck!
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

Mer.mer, maybe!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I stayed home today so I nursed instead of pumped, but back to work tomorrow. I'll try twisting the white cap to see if that help. If not, I'll be heading out to find parts this weekend.

Just a quick update. I think it was me and the way I positioned the horn. I found that if I position my right nipple just right, it feels better and seems to drain my breast better. I've been doing that for the last few pumping sessions and it seems to be working so far!
    Mom of 3- Two boys ages 17 and 13 and one sweet baby girl, born 1/19/12
    Pumping once a day and nursing whenever we're together