Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Store milk in fridge for 9 days?

Default Store milk in fridge for 9 days?

Looking for advice on what's best to do in this situation... I have milk in the fridge that I pumped Monday that the baby didn't end up needing. I have to go into the office next Wed, Thurs and Fri (normally I work from home). So that's 9 days between expression and when I next really need to have bottles for the baby. The guidelines say milk is OK in the fridge for 3-8 days... can I stretch it one more day?

I would freeze it, but all my thawed frozen milk tastes nasty. I don't know if its the lipase issue or what... it makes me gag when I smell it (baby seems to be happy to eat it, though, what's with that? Even though he seems willing, I don't like feeding him something that smells so horrible to me!).

So I could scald the milk now and freeze it (haven't tried scalding yet), or I could try to keep it in the fridge that one extra day... what seems like the better option?

I don't tend to get much at each pumping session, it took me 3 sessions to get this one 4 oz bottle, so I would really like to have the best chance to use it!

Default Re: Store milk in fridge for 9 days?

Milk is food. So think of handling it like you'd handle your own food. By 9 days, it'll be pretty old, but if baby will still eat it and it's not sour, it's fine to use. The question is, will it sour by 9 days, and the answer is, maybe. You could freeze now, but once it's defrosted it will need to be used right away, probably in less than the 24 hour guidelines, since it's already a couple days old now at freezing. That's probably what I would do - scald & freeze it now. But I've also never had to scald my milk so I don't know how that works if it's 3 days old.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I would just freeze it today. Why risk not being able to use it?

Way too lazy for formula

If you have a lipsase issue I am pretty sure it won't keep for 9days anyway. The outside longest I have ever heard of it being OK fresh is 7days.

Way too lazy for formula

If you have lipase, by 9 days that milk will be horribly unpalatable. I'd freeze it myself. That slows the enzyme down enough that it might be Ok.

I don't always scald and I have a lipase problem. I mix with fresh or just feed it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!