Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long term breastfeeding and natural weaning???

Default Re: Long term breastfeeding and natural weaning???

Well, to answer your 1st question, I think older nurslings nurse for all the reasons you mention and others as well. There is no reason to think it is not sometimes for hunger and thirst, but certainly closeness, comfort, to 'have something to do" and for help getting to sleep becomes more and more the prime motivation...

As far as nursing at bedtime-For us a big shift began when we made nursing part of the night routine but stopped having it be the final thing...after getting into pjs, story, etc, I would nurse my son, but then my husband would take him into his room (we had stopped co-sleeping in the beginning of the night before this-at about age 3 or so for both boys. The kids were welcome to come into our bed later if they wanted) and rock him to sleep or sit in his room & sing a quiet song or tell a quiet story until he fell sleep. I figured out he could get to sleep on his own during naps before this-First I prepared him all morning for the idea of 'quiet time in his own bed." Then when nap time came, he nursed, then I put him to bed, told him he did not have to go to sleep but had to be quiet for quiet time, and turned out the light, darkened the room with dark curtains and put on a white noise machine and went out. This was when he was about 3.5...The first day he whimpered a bit for about 5 minutes and I felt awful and was about to give up, but then he feel asleep! He must have been ready because it worked great after that. So after that I felt confident he could fall asleep gently without nursing and we started having his dad do the final bed time step and eventually he also could leave the room before my son was totally asleep.

I really forget how we ‘finally’ came to an end to nursing with my oldest, but besides the lessening of the sleep association we did above, I had also for some time been limiting nursing sessions to 3 X a day (morning, naptime and bedtime) with exceptions for emergencies like owies and hurt feelings. I had also done other things, like limiting the length of sessions-agreeing to nurse but for a count of 20 or the time it took to sing a song. That made me able to say yes but still put a limit on it. I agree it can be counteractive to say no all the time, but setting limits is helpful, and there are many ways to do that.

Oh and fyi we found that getting our boys up to pee at our bedtime (so, about 2-3 hours after they went to bed) helped with the transition out of nighttime diapers. It’s pretty normal for wetting at night to go on longer for boys than girls, especially if your son is a heavy sleeper.

I nursed my son until he was 5. He weaned the day after his 5th birthday. He TN with his little sister for 28 months 3 days. She just weaned in January a month after her 4th birthday. They loved to TN together. It was truly a bond for them. They both weaned naturally except for the fact that my son was forced weaned at night when he was 2 1/2 because I was at the hospital with my daughter for a better part of a year. Long story...you can find a lot of posts on this very issue in the previous section that was Tandem Nursing. The name has been modified to Nursing More Than One. Most of the TN folks no longer post there since the name change and it is primarily Twin questions but there is a lot of long old posts. I was the moderator for that forum for the longest time. Feel free to pm me with any other questions.
    Alene
    LLL Leader

Hello Alene and Meg .... I am an inexperienced newcomer ..... i have now discovered the 2nd page of this forum link!!!! Hence i couldn't find your reply a few days ago Meg!!!

I started a new posting about explaining weaning to older children as i was beginning to feel that i hadn't got any contact with mums who had let their children wean naturally ..... so it is great to have your reply Alene ..... i look forward to communicating more and reading the feeding two site ..... I don't want to wean my son ..... I want him to feel ready ..... I do think he feeds more because his sister does .... a little sibling jealousy ...... He seems to need that bond at times ...... I was beginnig to think that is should at least talk about what weaning is ..... neither of them can understand why they would need to at the moment!!! So i look forward to having the chance to reflect as i get some more replies ...... many many thanks

Hello alene .... I have time to write now ..... I am curious to know about the patterns of feeding leading up to your son weaning after his 5th birthday ..... had you talked about weaning .... how often were your children feding up until weaning .... did they feed to sleep and on awaking .... did they sleep alone ..... did they want boob for lots of emotioonal upsets? i am curious to know more ...... if you would prefer to write to my private email address i understand

it is great to hear from a fellow long term tandem feeding mummy
    cheers
    sharon

Hi! I have a 4 year old and a 17 month old and tandem nurse them. Great that you started this thread! We are right now in the process of trying to cut down night nursing for my 4 year old. I can become really resentlull at night and that doesn't work either. But there is quite a bit of mommy guilt because I don't think he would give it up himself and I really want him to be able to do it withought breaking his heart. We co sleep, so he hears his brother nursing... At the same time he is quite afraid of the dark and to be in his room by himself, so move out won't work. He might move out with daddy for a while. Haven't decided yet. Anyway, I will write more. In any case, I would say, it has very wonderful moments often but it is draining also to tandem nurse two big ones. My 4 year old also nurses so powerfully that there is no way I can sleep at the same time. It really wakes me up!

Hey hello fellow tandem feeder thanks for joining the thread
    I did night wean my son when he was 4 ..... i explained that i needed to sleep ..... my daughter was 2 and a little ..... it tried to night wean her too ... but teething set in so i let her feed as she waas awake for hours at night ..... i wanted my son to think she had weaned as he was jealous if he thought she had boob at night ..... actually it worked .... he seemd to understand and actually seemed ready to be next to me in bed being cuddled but to sleep until the early hours ...... if my daughter wakes and feeds he now after 4 years seems to sleep deeply ...... i know what you mean about being strong feeders .... from about 5 am they now alternate having a feed ..... i have to ask my 4 year old to sleep again until the morning ..... sometimes that works sometims it is a breastfeeding relay!!

I am still curious to know what conversations people had if any in the lead up to their children weaning naturally ..... my son cannot imagine ever living without the boob!!

I do keep on hanging in there .... 'this phase will pass'' keeps me going but boy sometimes i cannot explain how exhausted i am ...... but my eldest seems to really need to breastfeed somtimes

looking forward to more replies

cheers

sharon

With My son who weaned at 4.5 we had a bunch of conversations. Some where I asked him if he knew if any of his friends still nursed. By 2nd year of preschool he only had one friend left that did. AND when my cousin weaned her twins that were 9 months YOUNGER than him at 3.5 years old we talked about that. I asked him how old he thought he would be when he was ready to stop. Would it be when he no longer fit in my lap? When he went to sleep in his own bed? We stopped doing it out of boredom. When he would ask I would ask why he wanted to. It was pretty easy (much easier than I thought it would be) to figure out that he still NEEDED it longer than I thought he would. And that because of the conversations we had leading up to it when he did finally walk away it was with a sense of great accomplishment and pride.

Way too lazy for formula

Hello djs.mom
    how frequently was your son feeding
    my son seems heavily reliant on the boob to sleep and boob to wake routine?
    this is what makes me wonder if he will crack out of that habit at some point or if it needs encouragement and yet can still be natural?
    cheers
    sharon

By the time he weaned he was going days at a time. But our routine made that easier. Is your child in preschool? Sleeping in his own room? Night weaned? Still napping?
    Between 3.5 and 4 we night weaned. As part of our weaning process. To do this my son went from going to sleep with me to going to sleep with my DH. So that cut out that session. He stopped napping at 4. So that cut out that session. And as he was in preschool so 3 days a week there literally wasn't time in the morning to nurse at waking. So Once we began the night weaning, there were days where he wouldn't nurse at all and then days when he's just nurse in the morning.

Way too lazy for formula