Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long term breastfeeding and natural weaning???

Default Long term breastfeeding and natural weaning???

Hello
    I am new to this forum
    I am breastfeeding my 4.5 and 2.75 yeear olds
    i would love to be in touch with some other mums in the same situation or who have indeed past it
    sometimes i find it extremely challenging if i am exhausted and i am curious about what natural weaning really looks like
    cheers
    Squidge!

Default Re: Long term breastfeeding and natural weaning???

Bumping.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

I think natural weaning looks different for every mama-baby pair. My older daughter weaned at 3 because she threw a massive tantrum at bedtime, and skipped her before-bedtime nursing session, which was the last one she had routinely. After that, I just let my DH go in and give her a back rub before bed, and she only asked to nurse a few more times, once when she mistakenly ate a hot pepper!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi Mama! Tandem is very draining! For us natural weaning got a slight bump in the right direction I felt myself becoming resentful with my DS1 so we talked a lot about weaning and what it means and other ways we could stay close (snuggling, etc) In the end we made a big deal of the weaning party at 4YO, he has nursed several times after that but for like 5 seconds, more like a confirmation that I was still there for him. He is now a little lactivist .

Check out the Weaning sub forum, there are a lot of our stories there.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I seems that most mummies have to prompt the weaning rather than the littlies just running out of steam with it? has anyone else got any experiences too
    many thaniks for the replies
    squidge

I think it depends on how long mom is willing to go. According to this article by anthropologist Katherine Dettwyler: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_20135603/ a natural age for weaning is somewhere between 2 and 7 years. But most moms in western cultures seem to feel "done" well before they hit 4, let alone 5, 6, or 7, so they end up pushing weaning a bit, or a lot.

If you're feeling touched out, it's okay to put limits on nursing, especially with an older toddler or young child. You can say "not right now" or "not at night" or "okay, but only for 5 minutes/until I finish singing 'Twinkle Twinkle Little Star'/etc." or "You can nurse but you can't play with mommy's other nipple". Even a mom who is totally committed to allowing her kid to decide when to wean is allowed to set some boundaries.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I only have one child but for me my son naturally quit on his own with No nudges, his last nursing session was probably one week after his third birthday but it was one of those where he was only 'on' for maybe a second or two. his last full session was really about 30 days before his third birthday, he just stopped asking as much and eventually stopped asking at all.

I think in the entire term of our nursing I only declined a few times for some reason or another, one of those being waiting to get sutures at the ER.

I'm not sure what sort of experiences you are looking for but
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07

I tandem nursed my two boys who are almost 3 years apart. Oldest weaned a month or two after turning 5 with some gentle but persistent encouragement from me, younger weaned at age 4.5 entirely without my 'help', in fact I kept offering to nurse for some time after he was 'done' lol.
    So I tandem nursed for 2 years.
    I would say both boys 'naturally weaned' although the 'ending' for each looked very different.

I can say I would not change a single thing, except maybe, in hindsight, I may not have pushed my oldest to stop nursing, I am sure he would have stopped nursing on his own pretty soon anyway. But that is hindsight, I am sure at the time tandem nursing was getting tiring and I was ready to cut down to one. Also Henry was essentially ready too, or we would not have stopped, I beleive if he was not ready, stopping would have been harder than continuing.

If I talk to a mom who thinks she may want to move the weaning process on a bit more quickly but is not sure, I suggest she look not at one frustrating day or difficult week, but instead think about life overall and ask herself if nursing is in general working for her, as a mom, or against her.

I host a nursing toddler LLL meeting and talk to moms nursing into toddlerhood and beyond quite a bit, and truly how a child weans and how a mom feels about tandem nursing, nursing past age ??? and weaning is incredibly varied. I can say in my four years as a LLL Leader I have never once talked to a mom who said "I should have weaned my child sooner" while I have talked to many moms who thought their child weaned or was weaned 'to soon."

Books that helped me a ton: Mothering Your Nursing Toddler, Adventures in Tandem Nursing, How Weaning Happens and The Nursing Mothers Guide to Weaning.
    If you have any other specific Q's please let me know!
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; April 21st, 2012 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks for the replies especially lllmeg ..... I so wish there was a lll group around here iwht extended breastfeeding mummies. I wonder with the mummies you speak to how often their 4 and 5 and 6 year olds were feeding ..... just to sleep? emotional needs? boredom? i do say no or in a while sometimes especially to my 4 year old ... but try not to as i feel to say yes reduces the desire for it .... saying no makes it feel like something that is more attractive ...... 75 percent of the time i go with the flow .... my 4 and half year old i asked for him to stop night feeds as i was exhausted and he understood and did and slept through and has since except for poorly times ..... so the time was right for that ...... i just cannot see how his going to sleep routine would ever change to exclude the boob!!! ( i also wonder if he will ever get out of night nappies ... side track!!) anyway ...... any more info would be fabulous
    thanks
    Sharon

I weaned my son when he was 4.5 years old. By the last 6 months we were going days at a time without it on a regular bases. He wasn't allowed to have his weaning party until he went 2 full weeks without it.

Way too lazy for formula