Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby-led solids

Default Baby-led solids

I'm sure there are a lot of posts like this one but I have 2 kids and a baby and don't have time to research, I apologize in advance.

I would like to do baby-led solids with DD3. I did a variation of it with DD2, I started her on purees and at dinner time I would put food in her high chair and she slowly learned how to eat. This time I would like to do this from the start. She is 5 and a half months and I don't think she is ready yet. Can I wait until after 6 mo? Do I have to start her with purees or do I have to do only finger foods?

TIA

Default Re: Baby-led solids

The great thing about bls, to me, is that you don't HAVE to do anything. You just give baby some of what you're eating, when baby wants it and it's something safe (not choking or allergy hazard). We are probably on the far lax end of bls and we literally do that - even spicy food while we're out to eat,etc. nursing cures a spicy mouth. but we also spoon feed oatmeal in the morning (regular adult oatmeal, dh just makes a little extra). We didn't start til maybe 8 mos - the whole point is to wait until baby is ready. Lo looked up from nursing one day and smacked his lips at the bread in my hand, I figured that was about as clear a cue as I'd get. Again, the key for us is EASY. We do not do anything special for lo's food. We tried some purées someone gave us, none of us liked them. I also make sure to nurse before dinner, now that lo is so interested in eating - want to keep his primary calories from milk since he's only 10.5 mo.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Waiting until 6 months is a GOOD thing. There are other signs that you should look for as well.

Most babies are developmentally ready for solids somewhere between 6 and 8 months.

Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:

Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    Taken from THIS website.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

And if you want to combine purees with finger food, go right ahead. At the beginning with Glowworm, I would put some cheerios on his tray mainly to keep him entertained while we were eating dinner. If we have something I want to spoon feed him, I will often put finger foods on his tray to keep his hands out of the spoon.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

The important thing with baby led solids is to allow baby to regulate his own intake. That is the purpose of bls, ya know? Giving your lo the control - letting him/her make the decisions on what and how much to eat.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Thanks a lot ladies!!

She doesn't sit up unsupported yet so definitely will wait for that first

We sort of fell into BLS. My LO started on purees, but then went on a solids strike and only wanted to BF. Now he nibbles here and there, but really only wants to eat MumMums, fruit strips, and shows curiosity in what we're eating. It is easier, but doing it this way has meant that he doesn't eat a whole lot of food (since he has the control). So many LOs his age eat a LOT more than he does, but he's gaining, happy, healthy, and thriving... so really what more can we ask for?
    Sunny
    BF'g my son since birth, May '11. I proudly practice peaceful/attached parenting