Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overfeeding - I'm so confused

Default Re: Overfeeding - I'm so confused

Thanks all for the replies. My 6 week doctors check isn't till Tuesday so it'll be interesting to see what s/he says. I did try the holding off just to see if she fed any less and after one day of it I woke up with sore leakier than usual breasts which made me worry about mastitis as it felt a little hard in one side and although she did fine with dummy and looking at things by the time I was preparing to feed her (suffers from bad gas so I need to get her medicine) she was screaming. Needless to say never again will I try this!

Anyway I started reading more online and all the symptoms of oversupply sound just like my little one: feeds frequently, gags and stops during feeding, burps like an adult, has gas problems, likes to suck her fist and the key one GAINS WEIGHT RAPIDLY. I think today I wil try and find the number to the local or national breastfeeding support and see what they suggest and talk to my doctor about it on Tuesday.

The gas may be a result of the oversupply, too. One thing that often helps with oversupply is to feed frequently- small, frequent feedings are less likely to upset baby's tummy. Does she ever gag, choke, cough, splutter, or make a "click" or "cluck" noise when she nurses? And if she pulls off the breast during a feeding, do you ever see milk stream or squirt from the breast?

I'm glad you're planning to talk to your doc about this issue. Just be cautious- obstetricians often know very little about breastfeeding! The 6 week postpartum check is when many moms select a method of birth control. Do you have any plans in that area? We love to help new mommies pick a method that's right for them and safe for nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son is just over a week old..and he nurses non stop..he gained ab 8 0z since monday..and my husband insists on telling me im overfeeding him and that he just needs a binkie cause he wants to suck..i refuse to give him a binkie yet and if he wants to suck i nurse him and hell stop nursing when hes full...he eats ab every 2 hours..and ab ever 3 1.2 at night. any advice on how i can relay this to my husband that i know what i am doing is right..i can tell when my son is hungry and just wanting his binkie..but i dont know how to explain this to my husband in a way he will "get" it lol.
    Brayden 10-29-09
    Bentley 4-12-12
    Proud BF momma & Proud Marine Corps wife..Happily married to CPL Green!

Maybe you can tell him "the experts" say no pacifiers until at least 6 weeks.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

and "the experts" say that 10-12 nursing sessions is the normal MINIMUM for a new baby ... so you're right on track!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Southernmama12, Will your husband read an article? This one is pretty short and to the point, written by an IBCLC-IBCLCs are board certified in lactation assistance and pretty much the primary experts on normal breastfeeding. There are doctor breastfeeding experts I could suggest as well but this article is the most clear and concise on this particular issue of feeding frequency I have ever seen-

http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

Stick to your guns, your baby HAS to nurse frequently in order to get enough and for you to have a good supply. What is happening in these early weeks is setting up your milk supply for the entire time you nurse-the last thing you want to do is delay feedings or allow baby to pacify on a pacifier-pacifiers used to early and too much cause slow weight gain and milk supply issues. Also delaying feedings lead to engorgement, which you want to avoid as much as possible.

I am curious what your husband is concerned about. Most people are thrilled when a newborn gains quickly. Maybe a discussion of what his concerns are is in order-

DD3 is 9.5 weeks today and was just weighed at the doctors. 14lbs. Off the (CDC) chart. My doctor said "She's a very healthy girl!" with a big smile.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Which scale are they using the "general" and OLD scale for weight and height or the WHO breastfeeding scale that the CDC even recommends using? That can make a huge difference right there. Breastfed babies gain weight totally different from formula babies. BF babies gain more the first 4 months and then taper off while FF babies gain consistently. The WHO BF scale is pretty new and not based on a census from the 1960's that used formula fed babies as the standard. Based on your daughters current weight of 12.3 converted to kilograms (5.3kg) since that is how the scale reads she is not in the 90th percentile for weight but rather around the 85th percentile. Probably less actually since I can't get an exact percentile as the chart does not list every single percent.

I would not sat your child is overeating in the slightest. The "health care" visitor is giving dubious advice at best. Stick with your doctor. If they are not concerned I wouldn't be either.

Here is a link to the WHO BF growth standards. Most "health care" proffesionals are not even using this yet so just stick to your guns. Do what feels best for you and your child

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/stand.../en/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*southernmama12 View Post
    My son is just over a week old..and he nurses non stop..he gained ab 8 0z since monday..and my husband insists on telling me im overfeeding him and that he just needs a binkie cause he wants to suck..i refuse to give him a binkie yet and if he wants to suck i nurse him and hell stop nursing when hes full...he eats ab every 2 hours..and ab ever 3 1.2 at night. any advice on how i can relay this to my husband that i know what i am doing is right..i can tell when my son is hungry and just wanting his binkie..but i dont know how to explain this to my husband in a way he will "get" it lol.
    My son did the same thing. He gained 8 ounces in 3 days. The doctors were thrilled the BF was going so well. I was told to not use a binkie. You are doing it right!!! They eat a lot when they are that little. I thought the same thing when my son was born, I didn't want him to get "fat". A few months down the road I almost think he is to thin, there is not a roll to be seen on him.