Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just one breast...

Default Re: Just one breast...

No. Once I get the 2 picked up from the sitter, I have to make sure I have my oldest picked up from latchkey at the school. We have a rough schedule and no extra family around to help.

on a different point - nursing 6-7 times a day for a 12 week old does not sound like nearly enough to me. i would probably try to get LO to the breast more on my days off, AND add in a good pump on those days, so that you have a cushion for the 4 days you're at work. keep in mind that a lot of people start having trouble pumping enough over time, so depending on what your goal is, you don't want to undermine it by starting out at a deficit.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Is your left smaller than your right? That's how I am and I always produce quite a bit less on the left. You may need a different size shield on the pump on the left side to be more efficient.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Actually, my left is a bit larger than my right...

Well, after a few days, things are still pretty much the same. At least they aren't worse! I've been sticking to a pump/nurse every 3-3.5 hours except for at night (last feeding is 10 or 11pm, and she's been waking up around 4 or 5 for the next). Still getting about 4-5 oz out of the right side and about 1.5-2 out of the left. I've been offering her the left side first when BFing. Wednesday was rough though, because we had to go out of town and I planned on pumping in the car. The dang cigarette lighter adapter didn't work!!!!! I was livid. I was able to pump when we got to our destination, though. I haven't had to tap into the freezer reserves anymore, and I've told the sitter and my husband about over-feeding her. Bottles are closer to 4 oz each now. I've told them if she cries after the 4 oz is gone, to burp her and let her go for another few minutes. If she still cries, only then offer her another ounce. I'm also pumping after each feeding. I'm maybe getting 1-1.5 ounce extra combined for both sides.

Off to ebayy to find a car adapter for my pump!

Sounds perfect for the sitter feeding routine I hope things even out! I'm always annoyed at how uneven my milk supply is from side to side haha
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I thought I would give an update, thought it may help others out there. Baby girl was 4 months on the 23rd of May, and she is a VERY healthy 16 lbs and 25.75 inches long. She's 90 or 95th percentile for everything. So she's getting plenty from me. She is still a breast milk only baby. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!! We recently switched babysitters. You know that gut feeling in your belly, that mom intuition? Yeah, I started getting little nagging feelings regarding the old sitter. Found a new one who is ten times better with communicating, is reliable, and is BM friendly! My younger two are so much happier now, and my oldest is even a little sad that she has to go to daycamp for the summer instead of the new sitters (the new sitter has horses, every little girls dream!)
    ANYWAY ~ Milk production has been essentially the same since this post. I'm producing/pumping more than enough for my little one, my fears were just worries. I pump between 4 and 5 ounces out of the right, and 2-3 ounces out of the left every time I pump, total for each pump is usually 7-8 oz. Baby girl gets approximately 30 ounces of milk in a 24 hour period. So there's even a little extra I pump every day which I am able to freeze.
    So keep it up moms who may be struggling! Try not to worry to much and remember that the more you feed/pump, the stronger your supply will be.
    Our new goal is 6 months of BFing. I don't see us stopping if things are still going well at that point, though.

DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

That's so great! I am so glad to hear!!!!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!