Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting

Unhappy Biting

So Wyatt has taken up biting. It is happening mainly at bed time, which is making it even harder on him. Those teeth are sharp and it hurts!! He has 2 on bottom and the top 2 are getting close to cutting thru.

I have unlatched him and put him in the floor while saying "no hurt mama" but he is still doing it. Last night after the third time I put him in his crib and he just threw a fit. A couple minutes later I went and calmed him down. After that he nursed to sleep with no issues.

What other ways have you gotten your LO not to bite?
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: Biting

Do you think it's because he's teething? What about offering him something cold to chew on for a bit before you nurse?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My son does this a lot when he's teething. I agree with offering something cold before nursing. We do bathtime before bedtime, and I'll usually bring a teething ring up for him to chew on in the tub if he's cutting a tooth. This way the pain is reduced for that time period between bath and sleeptime. Also, I like to give a little motrin if he's experiencing pain from teething. It helps him sleep better at night during that time.
    Sunny
    BF'g my son since birth, May '11. I proudly practice peaceful/attached parenting

Teething will bring it on.

I do the same as what you did. Also, watch and feel...they have to pull their tongues back to bite. Feel for that, and when it happens, pop them off before you are bitten.

Don't allow playing around either.

You can also pull them in close, and they have to open up.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Tracie I defiantly think the teeth have something to do with it. I will try the cold between dinner and bed and see if that helps.

Sunny I also do the montrin on days he acts like they are really bothering him or teething tabs.

Susan I did get him off once last night before he bit, I will try pulling him in and see how that does.

Thanks ladies.

Well the cold helped (I think) there was no biting last night. Heres hoping it doesnt happen again.

That's great!
    Sunny
    BF'g my son since birth, May '11. I proudly practice peaceful/attached parenting