Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clogged Milk Duct Relief!

Lightbulb Clogged Milk Duct Relief!

I've read these forums for 10 months on a variety of topics and gotten so much help and good information, I just wanted to add something I found today that was IMMENSELY helpful in relieving a clogged duct.

I have had so many clogged ducts while exclusively pumping with 2nd child that I never had with BFing my first. The current one is going on one week and I've tried all the typical measures (hot compresses, massage, pump more often, pump longer, etc). Usually, I take ibuprofen and hot compresses and it resolves over a couple of days. Not this time.

This morning I came across "pressure massage" on this website:http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/bre...ged-milk-ducts.

With pressure massage, you do not actually move your hand over the skin as you would with a normal massage. You simply press more and more firmly with the heel of your hand to move the plug in the duct down closer to the nipple.

It took me about an hour, but I'd apply pressure and hold it for what seemed like forever (because it hurts!), but then I noticed milk leaking. So I hand expressed and it squirted out. So I would press then express, press then express, on and on until I got rid of the rock hard areas enveloping my breast. It is still very tender (but not hard), so I'm not sure if I'm completely rid of it yet or its just sore from all the hard pressing.

I hope this can be of help to someone as info I've found here has been of help to me. Good luck!

Default Re: Clogged Milk Duct Relief!

If you BF, you might find the clogs go away. I've had more issues with EPing than with direct BFing
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!