Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nursing problems early morning

Default Re: Nursing problems early morning

yeah, i notice that - after night-nursing - i'm quite dehydrated first thing in the morning. i always pumped a lot more at my first session when i had a glass of water an hour before (at waking).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

It could be that your LO just isn't willing to do the type of suckling that produces a letdown when he's ready to get busy and start his day. You might want to try nursing him again an hour or so after he wakes up, just to see if he's ready to get in a good session at that time. Since he's still so young, I wouldn't be comfortable letting him nurse just 3 times per day even though he has a terrific solid food diet. I've always been told, and have read, that until a year breastmilk or formula is supposed to provide MOST of baby's nutrition, with solids complementing but not replacing milk/formula.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    It could be that your LO just isn't willing to do the type of suckling that produces a letdown when he's ready to get busy and start his day. You might want to try nursing him again an hour or so after he wakes up, just to see if he's ready to get in a good session at that time. Since he's still so young, I wouldn't be comfortable letting him nurse just 3 times per day even though he has a terrific solid food diet. I've always been told, and have read, that until a year breastmilk or formula is supposed to provide MOST of baby's nutrition, with solids complementing but not replacing milk/formula.
    I guess that's my biggest problem - he won't nurse otherwise. He's too excited about the rest of the world. How else can I get him the milk? I have some frozen. Should I be letting him drink that in a cup (he uses a cup well)?

Nursing him to go to sleep was how I figured out how to get him to nurse at all once he had an ear infection/strike/9 month blip. I took the advice of you all and caught him while he was sleepy!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

How did he get down to so few sessions? Did you cut some out and he cut out the rest? Or did he cut them all out? No judgement here mama, just questions.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

He cut them out. I offered and offered and offered. He wouldn't do them. He was on a goofy strike b/c of an ear infection (so, not really a strike), so I was lucky to have these. I kept trying before and after naps. He refused after naps, but he would always take BEFORE. That's how we settled into it.

Honestly, I'm ok with the 4x. I'm so dang proud of him and me for still doing so many as my daughter was down to 2x by now. I'm amazed that we've made it this far! I just want him to figure out the early morning/breakfast one -- I drank an entire bottle of water this AM before going in to him. I don't know that it helped. Normally, I feel the letdown tingle. Today I didn't. Normally, he has a distinct different sound when swallowing. Today and the last 2 days, he hasn't done that. That's why I think the morning one is goofed up.
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

My girls were never very interested in nursing first thing in the morning. It was upsetting to me when I was pumping for them, because if they would nurse before I dropped them off at the babysitter's house, that would be less milk than I would have to pump.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months