Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nursing problems early morning

Default Nursing problems early morning

My LO is 10.5 months and still nursing 4x a day....breakfast, before morning nap, before afternoon nap, before bed. We settled into this pattern after he recovered from an ear infection a few months ago. I don't so much want him to nurse to sleep, but if that's the way he gets the milk, then fine.

My newest issue is that early morning - the first nursing - seems to be a problem. My letdown isn't the fastest, and I think he's so curious to go see who is awake and moving around. I try to switch him from side to side to get the let down to happen (after he pops off and looks at me with a grin), but many times it doesn't matter and then he won't relatch. Then, on those days, we end up with only 3x nursing.

My question is, since he's already this old, and I plan to fully wean at a year, should I be pushing the issue? Still keep offering upon waking but it's ok if he doesn't do it?

I was hoping to drop the first nap nursing soon, but if he's going to drop the wake up nursing, then maybe I won't?

Thanks for any insight...
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Nursing problems early morning

What else is he eating? And drinking? You are planning to be fully weaned AT a year or you are going to START weaning at a year? I can't tell which one you mean.

A lot of babies are distractable at this age.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't want to make him wean too soon, but I was hoping to be down to morning and bed only by a year and then work him to fully weaned after that. My first nursed for nighttime until she was 13 months, and that worked well for us.

Currently, he eats and drinks basic baby stuff -- water/juice and then fruits, veggies, table food, etc. I try to feed him from my plate when it's safe, but he does eat baby food (prepackaged) and stuff I've made for him.

He is ridiculously distractable, so I'm surprised we've made it this far with this many feedings. Since the morning nursing is the problem, I make everyone in the house stay quiet, and I go into his room in the darkness as soon as he wakes up.

I think part of the problem is my slow let-down. So, I'm looking for any and all advice!

Thanks!

I would be worried that he wasn't getting enough calories or fat/calcium from the foods that he's eating, so I wouldn't be comfortable going to less than four nursings a day. But, take what I'm saying with a grain of salt because I'm currently nursing my 15 month old more than 4 times a day - so I'm not really familiar with trying to get a baby to nurse more or with planning to wean around a year.

Is he eating meats and cheese at all? Yogurt?

I think that since you do want to wean in just a few months, you could replace that morning session with something like whole milk yogurt and take advantage of the fact that he is so distractable. Maybe instead of dropping the nap session like you said you were planning on doing, go ahead and let him drop this session. Basically it's like the "don't offer, don't refuse" technique of weaning which probably works very well at that age when they are so busy with other things.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I have (I think) a similar situation. I am currently nursing/pumping for 3 feedings a day and plan to move that to 2 a day around 1 year (morning and evening).
    Until last month, I was nursing 5 times. I noticed that my girls were not interested in nursing before bedtime, so I cut it out. It did not impact my ability to nurse the next morning. I do supplement with formula (have since about 4 weeks), so the 2 nursings I have cut out have been replaced by formula.
    My goal is to not have to pump at work and be able to nurse morning/nighttime for a period TBD.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Yes, he eats yogurts and cheeses. He loves his freshly steamed broccoli. He's a great eater. I'm surprised with what's happening in the morning as we just got back from a trip out of town, and he nursed in a strange place with hubby and sister in the same room - highly unusual - upon waking.

Any suggestions for helping my letdown that early in the morning? Other times of day don't seem to be a problem at all...

What makes you think it's your letdown that is bothering him?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I don't know if it's bothering him, but it can take up to 20 minutes sometimes to get flowing. I think he gets impatient and is ready to just pop off and start his day. This is the only time of day it's this slow for me. When he nurses himself to sleep for naps and bed, it comes just fine...

Can you still feel your letdowns? I can't and have no idea if my milk has let down or not, I suppose I could pay attention to if she's swallowing or not. Sorry, thinking out loud here.

I can't think of anything that would help stimulate your letdown other than if you pumped or hand expressed a little bit before nursing him.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I still get the fun tingle. And his swallowing is definitely different. I think he's getting drops, but not the "good stuff." I'm wondering how much it has to do with the amount of food I've eaten or liquids I've had to drink since I've gone -obviously-a few hours without either. I'm going to experiment with drinking a good amount before going in there. Maybe my boobs just haven't woken up yet, LOL.