Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: hard to keep up with pumping for 10 month old

Default hard to keep up with pumping for 10 month old

Hi Mama's,

First-time poster here. I work 3-days a week and have been having trouble pumping enough at work to keep up with her bottles. She gets ~5.5 ounces three times while I am gone and I pump three times at work, each time getting between 3-4 ounces (but mostly 3).

If she STTN I can pump about 2 more ounces after her morning feeding. But lately she has been eating once in the middle of the night so I don't really have extra.

I feel like my pump is no longer doing a good job getting all my milk. I have gotten a few replacement parts. I do compressions while pumping. Oh also, sometimes I don't let down at work, which I can tell is related to stress so I really try to stay calm.

I feed her every three hours the days I am home, to keep up my supply. Anyone have this problem with an older baby? Any tips?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: hard to keep up with pumping for 10 month old

It's pretty common to start running short at that age. You can breastfeed just fine, but that pump is the problem.

If you can, maybe a rental will help overcome the worn out pump syndrome.

Have you ever tried any herbs?

You could also try tacking a few minutes of pumping in on every day to try to increase supply. It takes time to increase supply via pumping, so don't get frustrated.

I opted to introduce cows milk a bit early with my last baby, as I wanted to save the freezer stash for now, when I knew i would need it tomhelp me meet my long term goals. He was fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks so much for the reply. I have considered getting a rental actually but wasn't sure where to find one. Any suggestions?

I have a freezer stash but am so paranoid about using it, but I will, of course. I have also thought about using cows milk a little early too.

I have used the mother's milk tea and bought the MotherLove More Milk Plus but accidentally got the kind with alcohol and it tastes so gross. Any herbs work for you?

Thanks!

But also, it sounds like maybe he's getting a bit too much while you're away. Estimate 1-1.5 oz per hour; right now he's getting 16.5 oz. are you really away 11 hours? Prepare, say, 4 3 oz bottles and one extra 2 oz bottle that can be used if lo is still hungry.

Another easy way to get more would be to sneak in a pump the other 4 days of the week - if he's eating every 3 hours then i wiould pump about 2 hours after he eats. Then don't schedule his nursing, let him nurse to make up that whole feeding on demand. This will increase your supply At thesame time it increases your stash. Good luck mama!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I think it sounds like he's getting a little too much. Can you start putting 5 ounces in the bottles instead of 5.5, then maybe drop back to 4.5? How long are you away?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I would like to put less in the bottles but she consistently has the whole thing and once in a while my husband gives her more (the horror)! I can't tell if he is overfeeding because he says she is whining for more. She is not great with the solids but we are working on it. Hopefully soon she can cut back.

I work about 30 minutes away and I see patients so can't leave to give more, if needed.

Thanks for the input!

If you're looking for a rental pump, call your local lactation consultants. They should know where to get them and may be able to rent one to you.

I know it's hard to dip into your stash, but if you're choosing between using the stash and cow's milk, you definitely want to use up the stash first! Use the stash to keep your LO from needing to drink cow's milk, don't use cow's milk to save your stash. Right?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh yeah, I will definitely use all of my freezer stash before giving her cow's milk.

If you call Medela, Ameda, and Limerick, they will tell you where to rent from. If you have the first two, your current horns will work on it so you don't have to buy a kit.

Whether or not, IMHO, you introduce cow's milk depends on your goals and how much is in the freezer. If your goal is to pump wean at 12 months and nurse on demand at home, and you have plenty, then yes, use it. But if you don't have much, and you are having trouble pumping, and you can't get your supply up, I would try stretching with a few ounces of cow's milk once a day. Just 2 oz can make a difference. I did this myself to get to 12 months, so I could pump and yet get some semblance of a life back, but my baby was still getting mostly mama milk. Make sense?

I find blessed thistle, fenugreek and marshmallow help my supply.

Put the MMP in some juice. It won't taste wonderful, but it tastes better than straight. Ugh.

Regarding the overfeeding..have you recently changed your bottle nipples? They wear out quickly and let LO get more out quickly, so LO doesn't realize the tummy is full. This might help slow your baby down.

Does DH do any alternative soothing methods?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!