Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaving Baby may need to Scald milk.

Question Leaving Baby may need to Scald milk.

So let me start with the fact that I still have not decided if I am going or not but DH wants me to go overnight without the LO. If I am going to go I need to start getting extra milk ready now.

We would be taking the babe to my in-laws that live 2 hours away, then traveling another hour past them for our plans. If I was taking him somewhere locally I would take a few extra frozen bottles but due to the traveling I was not sure it would make it with out thawing and needing to be used right away.

I have a lipase issue that hits on roughly day 4 (or about 18 hr after milk is thawed). If I scald them milk will it be ok in the fridge for a week? I can use freezer milk a few days this week and use my fresh pumped milk for the weekend.

Also any advice on scalding? I have never had to.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Default Re: Leaving Baby may need to Scald milk.

Have you checked your frozen milk? You don't scald your milk before you freeze it??

I am not sure if the milk would be ok scalded for a week, that would make me nervous. I would put the frozen milk into large ziplock bags, put mostly ice and some water in a cooler and bury the milk in there. It should stay frozen. Even if it partially thaws, you can refreeze it.

Could you stay overnight somewhere in the same town as your baby just in case things start to go badly with the in-laws? Or you can't stand being away?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Have you checked your frozen milk? You don't scald your milk before you freeze it??
    Yea I have. Milk stays good in the freezer for about 4 months. I really don't like using milk older than about 3 months. I did have about 100 or so that I ended up donating because we could not use it. Right now my stock rotates well and of the 150 i have in there nothing is older than 2 months.

Staying in the same town in not an option, nor is taking the baby with us if we go.

I get it that your DH wants you alone. That's why I didn't ask if your baby could go.

Well, I would just take the frozen, personally. Is it this weekend that you are potentially going?

I would scald two ounces tonight and taste it every day for the rest of the week to find out when it goes bad.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Yes this weekend. I DONT WANNA GO!!!!!!!!!! but i feel like i should.

Its that rock/hard place feeling. I know he wants alone time but I don't want to leave my little dude, who still wakes 2-3 times a night, with his grandparents that he doesn't see very often and doesn't know very well. ARG. I just have visions of baby meltdowns and them not being able to handle it. Plus being over an hour away.

I am probably overreacting and the baby will probably handle it better than I will.

Well, my response is NOT going to be helpful. Don't do it!!! Can't you just go out on a date? Have you, in fact, gone on any dates?
    Tracie

Mommy to

I am with Tracie. Drive there and let his grandparents have him for a few hours while you guys go to lunch then maybe a hotel. Then go back and get him and go home.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

And this is why I love you ladies.

Yes Tracie we do go out every few weeks or so. My SIL is great and I always feel comfortable leaving W with her.

I am not opposed to going up and spending the weekend with them and DH and I going out for a bit. But the whole night has me

I don't understand men.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Hey mama - where are you at on this?

Just curious, more than anything.
    Tracie

Mommy to