Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wet diapers & letdowns

Default Wet diapers & letdowns

Our pedi had some concerns about DD's weight gain at her 9 month appt - explained in this thread so I have been offering solids 3X per day as she suggested, also really trying to make sure that DD empties a breast fully before moving to the other side (even if this means offering the same breast two feedings in a row). And I've been paying closer attention to her diaper output too. There are a couple of things I'm wondering about that I'm hoping you all can help me make sense of...

First, when she nurses, I almost (like 99% of the time) have multiple letdowns. Usually at least 2, sometimes 3-4 before switching sides. Then a lot of times she will get a letdown on side #2 as well. I'm sure it's hard to know how much she gets from each letdown, but I'm assuming with that many of them that she would be getting enough milk? She nurses usually 6-8X a day (sometimes one breast, sometimes both). My right side has a more forceful letdown, so I think she gets more with each one on that side, she will usually only get 2 letdowns at a time on that side. From the left she often gets 3-4 or more if she's patient or sleepy enough Am I right in thinking that with that many letdowns she's getting enough milk? And a good balance of foremilk/hindmilk?

My other concern is her diaper output. She has PLENTY of poops (was 5-6 a day for awhile, we're down to 3-4 usually since offering more solids). I'm not so sure about the wets though...her first morning diaper is usually pretty heavy, but she may only have one or two other good wet ones after that. She has some smaller ones too, but it's kind of hard to tell b/c sometimes I change her several times pretty close together if she poops a lot. And it's hard to know if she was poopy and wet or just poopy, kwim? Since noticing this I'm trying my best to nurse as much as possible, but she is distracted, as all 9 month olds are, so some of her feeds are pretty short if she's not very hungry or more interested in other things. She is doing fine, happy, making lots of developmental gains, etc. Should I be concerned? I guess I'm just kind of surprised b/c it really seems like she's nursing a lot, getting lots of letdowns & lots of milk, but there isn't as much coming out as I expect. Hope that makes sense. Maybe I should offer her water or juice to drink? She gets her sippy cup at dinnertime but she doesn't quite know what to do with it yet.

I'm pretty sure that my supply is fine, she always seems satisfied after nursing and I am able to pump enough for her bottles on the days that I work. Over my two (long - 40 min or so) pump sessions I can usually get 12-13oz total so I know I'm making enough milk...

Any thoughts? TIA mamas!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: Wet diapers & letdowns

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*expat-mum View Post
    Poops are generally more important to watch than pees
    Really? I assumed pees were just as important, if not more, than poos because poos vary so much from baby to baby. Pooping is definitely not a problem for my LO! Lol

She does nurse throughout the day, every 2-3hrs. When I'm at work she drinks 12-13.5oz of EBM. She gets applesauce most days, and 1.5oz or so of EBM with her oatmeal every morning too. Only thing is that she does STTN pretty consistently, she usually goes 9-10hrs overnight without nursing. It just seemed like she wasn't wetting as much as she should be, but today was fine so

Thank you for the reassurance!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong