Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PISA lacking suction?

Default PISA lacking suction?

Hey ladies!

I am in need of some advice. My dd is 5.5 months old and doing fantastic. At the recomendation of our Dr we did start her on solids last week and she is rocking them but clearly prefers my milk

Now here is the issue, my supply has dropped over the past few months since AF returned. I went from pumping 3-4 oz a time (combined) to 3 on a superb pump but more often then not getting 1.5-2 per sesson. dd is taking 4 3oz bottles at daycare each day and then feeding every 1-2 hours from the time I get home until she goes to daycare the next day (can you say tired mommy?).

My PISA was purchased new and I started pumping in early november but went full tilt 4-5 times a day in January. At this point I have it cranked all the way up most times and barely can eek of 2oz (total) in a session. I can hand express a little after (not time effective) and it is clear that there is pleanty more milk to be had but I just cant get it out. I was having at least 2 of not 3 let downs in a 15-20 minute pump session and I get one, maybe two now. I have changed out every accessory multiple times and I am pretty sure my horns are okay. But as I said, its cranked full tilt and I cant get much at all these days.

I am not sure if its ME or the pump. I drink pleanty of fluids (including at least 2 cups of mothers milk tea) a day, my calorie intake is fine. I have pictures and videos of my dd and I did attempt fenugreek which made dd really gassy.

I am kind of at a loss. I pump at 8:15,10:15,2:15.4:15 durring my work day. I usually get up at 2:30am to pump and if need be I toss in a session before bed time. I am getting JUST enough to get the dd through daycare the next day and cannot add to my stash (which i need for a week long trip when dd will be 8 months old). Its so frustrating ..

any suggestions? is this normal for a PISA to have to be cranked full tilt??

Thanks and sorry for the long post

Default Re: PISA lacking suction?

It's not uncommon for women with good milk supplies to have a hard time with pumping. We just don't have those warm fuzzies for the machine like we do for our babies

Have you tried pumping hands-free and doing breast compressions while you pump? I had to do compressions or I would still be pretty full afterwards as well.

My next question was going to be about the fit on your horns, but you already said that you feel those are okay.

Do you have an IBCLC or LLL Leader near you that may have a pressure gauge to check your pump? We keep a few in our clinic and routinely check the suction of our hospital grade loaner pumps, but I have been asked to check the pressure of other pumps, including the PISA, more than a few times!
    JoEllen married to Jason 10-29-2005.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007
    Breastfed for 2 years and weaned on his own terms

Our Lincoln 6-11-2011 to 9-12-2011
    my homebirthed-water baby, who was born with a broken heart

And our special blessing, Leonidas 9-5-2012. A toddler who loves his "boops!"

Come visit our blog here!

Hi there!

Thank you for your reply. Yes I pump hands free and do compressions. if I dont, well my output is non-existant. I am going to call Medela tonight because I am worried that it may be my pump, its making some pretty odd sounds. I also have a call into the local hospital to see about renting a hospital grade one for a while to see if that helps.

I think it's your pump. If you have to turn the suction all the way up now and didn't have to before - definitely the pump.

Have you ever tried hand expression? That always helped me get some more milk out when I was done pumping.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Yep, sounds like a good idea that you are calling for troubleshooting!

KUP!

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

your pump. Run rent one in the meantime.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks ladies! I am not sure I can rent one where I am, I have a call into the hospital that is an hour away to see what they have to offer. OYE! I will call Medela tonight when I can get my pump all set up for trouble shooting.

In the mean time, if this isnt going to work and medela wont help, I may have to buy a new pump. I cant spend a lot of money. Any recomendations? Any pumps out there mate up with my bazillion medela bottles (4oz storage)?

Hygeia will match up, though the cost is comparable to a Medela. The upside though, is that Hygeia can be sent back to the company and be recycled or given to a friend for use, something the Medela is not approved for.

Mama to Logan 12-26-2007

The hospital lactation office can check the suction on your machine. Just call them. I found that when I used a Medela pump I got much more if I pumped one breast at a time. A lot more.

When my oldest son tripped and broke a vital piece off my pump, I used an Avent manual pump until my replacement part arrived. I to the same results in the same amount if time as my electric. I realize they don't mate up, but it's much cheaper than a Medela if you are buying new. I was so impressed that I bought an Avent Electric to replace my Medela (I thought I was done having babies so I got if of the Medela). I don't EP this time, but I am still satisfied.

My pump died while I was away on a business trip recently. I bought a Avent manual in the middle of the night, and I couldn't get a drop out. Odd, as I had pumped with one for my first two babies on an as needed basis. It really hurt my supply to not have a double electric What I am saying is every mom is different.

It might seem silly to spend the money on a good pump, but if you have a good pump, you have a better chance of not having issues with supply that start requiring you to supplement with formula,which costs money. Your child may stay healthier, you miss less work, and it pays off in the long run.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!