Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: giving up

Default Re: giving up

I use a Pump in Style, pump 3 times during my 9+ hour shift, and usually once at home after the babe goes to bed. I do compressions while pumping and massage as well.
    As for the horns, I use the 24mm on the left and the 21mm on the right...I think they are the right size after much trial and error.
    My problem specifically is that I can't get a let-down without pumping for a LONG time (45+minutes) at which point it hurts. Once I get going, it's great....but I can't realistically take 3 hours out of every workday to pump. I have the best intentions here, but in all practicality, it's not happening. More often than not, I wind up not emptying the breast, and have had been engorged at some point just about every workday.
    I have tried videos and photos of the babe as well. Like I said before, this last pumping fail was while I was in my baby's presence (he was sleeping for a long time) and while I was relaxed at home. 1/2 an oz in 45 minutes and I gave up.
    I just ordered a manual pump so that I can pump at home "on the fly" hoping that it will help keep supply up...
    Sorry to go on and on...I'm so frustrated!!
    So proud to be Avery's mama 12/26/11

susan would know more about timing, but i would think pumping for 45 min and not getting much, i would take a break earlier. some people just dont respond well to a pump but you can work at this and the relaxing part.

i would also suggest trying hand expression, it may help you relax and be more in tune with it. also, if your lo is only 4 months old, you do need some time to get used to the pumping routine.

you can try having your lo nurse and then immediately pump right after. the baby can get the milk flowing to help out.

some people also do "power pumping", 15 min on, 15 min off for an hour but i never did.

i would think you need to work on the relaxation part, deep breaths, maybe some calming music, almost a mediation of focus on it.

definitely give the hand expression a go and maybe jump in on the pumping chit chat for support.

There have been a few times when I've been really stressed out, and I've needed to put on a movie (I've watched Netflix on my iPad when I'm at work) in order to relax enough to get milk out when pumping. Thinking about my baby, milk, or pumping at all during those times just added to my stress and I couldn't get a letdown. Getting wrapped up in a movie and forgetting (or as close to it as possible) that I was pumping was the only thing that worked.

Is your pump new? I wonder if there could be a problem with your pump, or it could be worn out if it is used.

If you decide to stop pumping while at work, it will impact your supply. You may still be able to nurse before and after work, but you may not be able to nurse all day when your are not working. But some breastmilk is better than none!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Hugs, mama! I know this is difficult. It took me a long time to get used to pumping.

A couple more questions: I know you said you've tried pictures and videos, but what about smelling something of your baby's, like a blanket? When I first started pumping, I could have my baby sitting on my lap, and it wouldn't matter. I had to smell him, or have his blanket that smelled like him, to get anything.

Also, have you tried hand expressing a little before you pump? That's the only way I get a let-down in a reasonable amount of time. I hand express just a little, to get the milk flowing, and then I pump. I do compressions while I pump for 20ish minutes, then I hand express at the end to get all the milk out.

It takes some trial and error to find what works for you, I think, but hopefully you'll find it!
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

There are some moms who really don't respond well to the pump, and yes, going longer does not help.

Have you ever tried nursing at home one side then pumping the other? Letdown is a reflex that you can condition, and this helps some moms condition the reflex.

There is a very new study that shows that moms who listen to music have better outputs than moms who don't.

And maybe bring a baby blanket to smell.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I hope you get the pumping worked out soon! I agree with Susan about trying to nurse baby while pumping - that really helped me.

But if you do decide that you are going to combo feed, just remember that some breastmilk is better than no breastmilk. At your baby's age, you will probably have to combo feed during the day on weekends, but maybe not. Here is some info on that:

http://kellymom.com/ages/weaning/wea...aning-partial/

Normally when you see women talking about how they don't pump at work anymore and then nurse on demand on weekends at at night, its a mom with a baby over 12 months.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Ok. Thanks for talking me off the ledge here.
    All of your suggestions are really great - thanks so much. I think that the transition back to work was harder than I thought it was going to be, and the challenges of pumping added to it is making my head spin a bit.
    It looks like weaning from the pump is not a good idea for a while...so I'm going to do my best to make friends with it for now. It doesn't seem like it would be as easy as just not pumping for the 45+ hours a week I work and expecting my supply and the babe's relationship to the breast to remain the same. Sigh.
    Really, thank you all so much for your suggestions....you've really helped this mama.
    So proud to be Avery's mama 12/26/11

I totally hear you about the transition back to work being tough. It sent me running to this board too! So - sympathy.

In my experience, pumping sucked. I tried to do special treat things for myself during so that I didn't hate it so much - like read a special blog, get a lactation cookie, whatever. Maybe you can psyche yourself out/up a bit.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Pumping is tough work. I have been pumping for almost 8 months and looking back I can't believe it, it has felt like an eternity but then also has gone by so quickly (which is why I am still doing it!). Do what you can, don't stress about what you can't. Come here for support, advice and to vent!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months