Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: giving up

Default giving up

Is there any way I could just stop pumping, and supplement while I am at work? I give up. I'm engorged all the time because I can pump for an hour at a time and get less than 1/2 an oz. I've been sitting here sobbing for the past hour because the pumping hurts and nothing is coming out and I'm even home and relaxed. If I gave up the pump, would I be able to still nurse him when we're together (3 days a week and every evening)? The thought of weaning over this is breaking my heart. I'm so frustrated and sad.
    Please let me know what you think. Thanks
    So proud to be Avery's mama 12/26/11

Default Re: giving up

I had that experience pumping, too, and it is hard. I ended up stopping pumping altogether when my son was about 10 months old, and we continued nursing at night and on weekends until he self-weaned at 21 months. I felt bad giving up pumping, but I was not letting down at all with it, and it ended up being a relief that I wasn't fighting with it every day--I was just able to enjoy nursing him.

ETA: I know your baby is younger, and probably not doing solids; one reason I was able to be ok with stopping was that my son was eating solids well. Another thing that helped tremendously was that if he needed to nurse, his dad could bring him to my office--is that an option for you?

Is it possible for you to hand express? Ive never had problems with the pump but when I was engorged I found it was so much easier to hand express and had my first letdown much faster than with a pump. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post

ETA: I know your baby is younger, and probably not doing solids; one reason I was able to be ok with stopping was that my son was eating solids well. Another thing that helped tremendously was that if he needed to nurse, his dad could bring him to my office--is that an option for you?
    That would be amazing, but not rally an option for us.
    Baby is almost 4 months - do you think if I started solids it would help me ditch the pump? I didnt plan on it until at least 6 months, but if it would help, I would consider it...
    I could hand express, but don't see myself getting the volume I'd need in a reasonable amount of time.
    I never EVER thought id be talking about supplementing with formula but just can't continue with this...really struggling with this one.

I would hold off on solids until he's showing the signs of readiness--sitting unassisted, no tongue thrust, etc (there's a link somewhere I'll find). One thing I didn't think about when I first posted is asking whether your period has returned, and how long you've had trouble producing with the pump--I found that I had a really hard time when my son was about three months old, and it turns out it was because my period was returning and I had a drop in supply. I noticed a drop around that time every month, but it would normally rebound within a few days. Not sure if that's it, but thought I'd mention it.

That was my instinct on solids as well. They'll have to wait.
    My period has not returned - and it seems like my supply is fine (baby gaining well) it's just this pump. Im stressed because it takes so long while I'm working, stressed because it hurts (I've skinned both nipples at this point), and stressed because I'm stressed and know it doesn't help :-/ I did just order a manual pump so that I can have more little pumping sessions without all the set up...hoping that will help.

what kind of pump do you have? how often do you pump? do you hand express?

I honestly think your baby is a little young for you to give up pumping. In that I think it will really affect your supply. Your baby is less than 4months old right? Can we talk about ways for your pumping sessions to be more effective?

Way too lazy for formula

i meant to type "do you do compressions"

because if you are feeling engorged after pumping then you are just not getting the milk out and there are lots of ways to help. the main points are to:

use the right type of pump
    pump often
    do compressions

if you want you can do hand expression at the end too, which can help a lot

what kind of pump and do you have the right horns?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!