Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Decreased output with each session

Default Decreased output with each session

I have been noticing that each time I pump in a day I get a less and less milk. For example, If I'm at work for a whole day I'll get 4oz the first session, 3oz the second session and 2oz the third session (I go about 2-3 hours between sessions). I don't have a problem pumping enough for my baby and I make sure I pump at least as much as she's eaten each day (this usually means an extra pumping session in the morning before I leave), but I'm concerned that this decrease means my breasts aren't emptying and it could affect my supply in the long run. Any idea why this is happening, if it's really a problem, and if it is how I can fix it?
    Thanks!

Default Re: Decreased output with each session

Welcome to the forum! What you're experiencing is quite normal. Levels of Prolactin- the milk-making hormone- fluctuate over the course of the day. They are often highest in the wee hours of the night and first thing in the morning, and then decrease as the day goes on, often reaching their low point in the afternoon-evening. This means that most moms have the most abundant milk in the morning, and the least in the later part of the day, when their babies often make up for the dip in supply by cluster feeding, making up for the smaller amount they get per nursing session by haing more sessions.

As long as your baby seems satisfied at the breast and you are able to pump enough for her needs over the course of the day, you don't need to worry. But if you find that you're not able to make those 2 things happen, you can add in pumping sessions and start thinking about whether or not you need to upgrade your pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Decreased output with each session

Thank you, mommal! That makes me feel better.