Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anti-BF Childcare

Default Anti-BF Childcare

Hello, Im new here and from Puerto Rico. I am the mother of 3 boys, ages 6.5 years and 4.5 year old twins. I am a teacher at a daycare center where I currently work with infants from 8weeks to 18 months old.

My question/concern is the following:
    We are currently TTC (well not really but if it happens it happens). I am concerned with the lack of support given at the daycare center. Every baby that has started at our center while nursing has been weaned, many times because of negative and uninformed opinions of the owner of the center.
    There is currently one baby that is still breastfed. I plan on breastfeeding this next baby for as long as possible but am concerned I will fail if I decide to have baby with me at work. I am aware that I probably will not be able to breastfeed at work and am fine with giving expressed milk. But everyone at work is very ignorant on the how tos of breastfeeding.
    I am 100% sure that no one will take the time to feed a BF baby a bottle the way it should be done, they will not spend 20 minutes giving a few ounces and it worries me that even before conception my breastfeeding relationship will be sabotaged. How can I ensure that things will be done my way? At least I have the advantage that I will be there to supervise but there have been alot of wrong doing with our only breastfed baby and im worried that carelessness will also be applied with our baby. Help!

Default Re: Anti-BF Childcare

I'm sorry but they sound anti baby not anti breastfeeding. Even a formula baby shouldn't be eating 4 ounces in under 20 minutes. I think that they need a little education on parenting to begin with. I've only used 2 daycares but both had constant teacher training and enrichment classes. And twice a year were closed for training. Do you do that? I might suggest something like that. Maybe have an LC that would be willing to come and talk about the proper ways to feed expressed milk.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

The ladies whom I work with are very baby friendly but the owner is not. Everything she does is for her convenience and not that of the babies. We are understaffed with only myself and one assistant for 10-11 babies. I live in Puerto Rico and have long ago realized that here things are done much differently than in the USA (I lived in New York for 12-13 years).

Most babies there do usually drink 4-5 ounces in 20 minutes as even their parents are a bit strange and have fast flow nipples on there bottles just to 'hurry up' with feeding times. The only reason my baby will be in this daycare is for the same reason my twins are. I dont trust daycares (since I started working in one) and at least here I can supervise what is going on with my children. My only salvation would be that my MIL or my own mother can take care of baby for a few months after I go back to work, or that our relocation to Texas is sucessful and I wont have to work until baby is much older. Thanks!

Could you tuck your baby in a carrier to nurse while you do other things at work? I found I could even change diapers for my older child this way, but my nursling was where he wanted to be
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

It is necessary to keep an eye on activities of baby and day care staff and parents care helps to mature the relationship of child with parents.