Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why is my baby so uncomfortable?

Unhappy Why is my baby so uncomfortable?

Still blockfeeding due to OS/OALD. Last 2 nights, have had hardly any sleep! Feed baby at 10.30pm, put her in bed next to me as usual and within about a minute, she is writhing around. Pick her up, burp her, poss get a burp or 2, but loads of wind from the other end and crying when she passes it. She doesn't seem so bad in the daytime, but at night it is terrible! So after burping her, I Put her down again, she writhes around again and I repeat burping etc, offer her to nurse again and then process repeats again. Eventually after about an hour and a half, she settles for about an hour or 2, then squirms/wakes, so I nurse her, and then we go through the whole process again! It is as if she has lots of gas, or tummy discomfort. I am block feeding, so theoretically she shouldn't be getting too much foremilk. She is chewing everything, so I know she is teething. She is knackered, yawning and rubbing eyes constantly but it is as if she is too hyper to sleep, I get the impression that she can't relax due to discomfort. Has anyone experienced this? Any ideas what could be causing it? Could teething cause this? Or maybe something I have eaten? I have been dairy free, tomato free for ages. Also don't eat chocolate as that gives her discomfort. Just not sure what is going wrong. I'm doing everything poss to regulate milk supply and I thought it was getting a bit better but now this. She has always settled and fed quite well at night, it has been the daytime feeding that has been the problem, so I am confused. Your thoughts would be very welcome as we are all very tired and confused, maybe I am missing something!

Default Re: Why is my baby so uncomfortable?

Teething pain is worse at night.

And what you are seeing is typical....babies get harder to put to sleep as they get bigger. They switch things up as soon as you think you haven't down

I would keep blockfeeding and maybe try putting her to bed slightly earlier. You can also try teething and colic remedies and see if they help.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

She goes to bed at 8pm and goes down fine, but wakes at about 10.30pm for a feed, has always gone straight back to sleep until 2 nights ago when she started writhing around and not settling afterwards. I can't understand why she goes down fine until I feed her at 10.30pm.

ALWAYS is a funny word to use in conjuction with an infants sleep patterns. Let go of the idea that anything happening in terms of sleep is permanent. It's completely normal for their sleep patterns to change every 4-6 weeks. If you get something for longer than that cool, but it's not expected to all stay the same as they grow and hit milestones. So you shouldn't expect it. It has nothing to do with your milk or your supply. It's has to do with growth and hitting milestones. Keep blockfeeding to get your supply under control and don't worry about the extra night wakings. This too shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula

I am not worried about her waking up more often during the night, what I am worried about is, after she wakes and I nurse her, she writhes around and then starts crying as if she is really uncomfortable. She is then awake for almost 2 hrs, settles for about an hour and then same thing happens. She is probably only getting about 8 or 9 hrs sleep in 24 hrs. Don't know why she is so uncomfortable after nursing!

I'm really confused, my baby had a good feed at 10.30am after a lot of persuasion, she then snacked all day till 6pm, literally a few mouthfuls, till 6pm when she had an ok feed. It's now 8.30pm and I am trying to nurse her to sleep. She falls asleep nursing but every time I put her down, she writhes around and then goes up onto all fours an rocks and then starts crying. I don't understand why this has started to happen, it is only after she has a good feed. How can me feeding her be giving her discomfort afterwards when it never has inthe last 5 months? Help!

Have you started eating something that you haven't eaten in the past? Does her stool look any different?

Way too lazy for formula

My son did similar things whenever I ate certain things that irritated his tummy. I stopped having dairy and it helped him a lot. Also, he would do this whenever he was constipated. If LO is over 6mo, try giving a little water to help move the bowels. That helped with DS more than anything.
    Sunny
    BF'g my son since birth, May '11. I proudly practice peaceful/attached parenting

Have you considered using gas drops? I think the drug name is simethicone. My husband is a pharmacist, and he knows that it is not absorbed by the baby, if you are concerned about medicine/chemicals. We used it with your exact symptoms and my son's sleep improved immensely. He would get his gas out during his sleep still but he would not be uncomfortable.
    Mom to Son B born 7/13/11

Do you think it might be reflux? I agree with babyben2011 about trying to use gas drops.

How old is your baby? 5.5 months, right?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months