Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: No letdown!!! Please help!!!!

Default No letdown!!! Please help!!!!

My baby is 4 months old and is typically a very good nurser. Last night she nursed from my L breast at 7:00 but did not nurse long before falling asleep. By the time she woke up, nursed the R breast, and it was time for her to nurse the L again, I was engorged. I have not had a letdown since 7:00 pm yesterday (13 hrs ago!!) And I am miserable. I let her nurse that side all night and pumped the other. I soaked in a hot bath, I have massaged, done relaxation/visualization with no success. Help please!!!
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

Default Re: No letdown!!! Please help!!!!

So you pumped the other and got nothing? Here are some tips from kellymom: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...orgement/#tips

I pumped during the night and got 3.5 oz from my R and less than 1/2 oz from my L. She is nursing but not swallowing when on my L. I cannot feel my letdown, which is normally forceful. Thanks for the link. I will check it out.
    Mom to Kaleb born 7/24/08......clueless about BF and began to supplement. Supply was gone at 8 weeks.

Sarah Beth born 11/29/11.....found this forum(lifesaver) and glad to say she has only had BM since day 1 and we are still going strong!

Well I have officially had my first encounter with milk blister/plugged duct. I found out after my 2nd shower. I popped it with a sterilized needle and it was like turning on a faucet. Instant relief! I never would have thought something so tiny could cause so much pain!

So glad you got relief! The first time I popped a blister and saw milk literally shoot across the room and hit the wall it was pretty startling...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I was in such misery. My breast was swollen all the way under my armpit and I couldn't raise my arm over my head. Now I just hope I don't have another one after going back to work/pumping tomorrow. Any tips on preventing this from happening again?

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

has some prevention ideas as well.

I would also suggest troubleshooting your pump and eliminating as much extra activity from your life that you can. Plugs, blebs and mastitis are often a sign for mom to slow down.