Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Green non frothy poops, gas, fussiness in 7 week old

Default Green non frothy poops, gas, fussiness in 7 week old

Baby was 7 weeks old on tuesday and has been gassy and fussy for a few weeks She was going about a week between poops and having a LOT of really smelly gas in between, but she's going more often now. It's still green and muddy/pudding like though. My 10 yr old was formula fed because of a tongue tie/supply issue and this is exactly how I remember her new formula poops so I don't know what's going on? I don't supplement at all.

Does it sound like a dairy allergy? I took a picture of her diaper this morning if that would help tell me what's wrong. I've been using colic calm for the gassiness and that's known to color poops a bit, but this is thick green. I have milk in my coffee every morning and then thinking about it yesterday, I do consume quite a bit of dairy :/ She does choke/gag sometimes at the breast but poops are not frothy at all. And I've been nursing from one side per feed for about the last week.

Default Re: Green non frothy poops, gas, fussiness in 7 week old

What led you to block feeding? Did you have indications of an oversupply issue earlier? The green could be from any number of things, ranging from totally normal to oversupply or a mild virus or (less likely) a milk protein allergy. Without blood in the stools, my ped always said allergy was unlikely but other moms may have more to add there.

Default Re: Green non frothy poops, gas, fussiness in 7 week old

Yeah, before you get on the allergy bandwagon I think it makes sense to think about oversupply. Choking/gagging while nursing and needing to use just one breast per feeding makes me think that you probably have some degree of oversupply, and that can easily cause those muddy green poops.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"