Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: High frequency of feeding

Default High frequency of feeding

I wondered if anyone thinks this is ok? My 6 week old is ebf but I am concerned about the number of feeds per day as he feeds 16 times a day (sometimes more). This is not a growth spurt, of which he has had a couple and the feeding increased, but his base level. I feed on demand, and he seems full after every feed. It's just that I guess I was hoping to have a bit more time away from the sofa soon! All the information seems to imply that at his age the feeds should be beginning to reduce from 12 plus like a newborn to about 8 per day, and we haven't even got down to 12 yet! He has gained weight well, and is healthy otherwise, I'm just very tired...
    Thanks.

Default Re: High frequency of feeding

Your baby is normal, mama. Just as someone has to be at the bottom of the spectrum, someone has to be at the frequent end- and that's you. FWIW, I never had my kids nurse just 8 times a day until they were around 2. It's 9 a.m. here and my 2 year old has already nursed 4 times.

Give it time, and if you don't have one, invest in a good sling. You may be able to learn how to feed on the go. Also, some babies who nurse as much for connection with mommy as for food are soothed by being close to her and in her arms, and nurse less often when in the sling.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the slings, but he is with me, being carried or laid on top of quite a lot at the moment. I just hope it does reduce a bit soon, as it's difficult to get anywhere or go anywhere at the moment!

My (almost) 11mo nurses every 2-3 hours. When he was 2mo, it was totally normal for him to nurse every 1-2 hours, sometimes more. Some babies just need to nurse more. It is totally normal. I know it is hard on you, but baby loves it so much he just cannot get enough I look forward to nursing sessions now because I know how much he loves it! The best thing to do is sleep when baby sleeps, and keep up the good work
    Sunny
    BF'g my son since birth, May '11. I proudly practice peaceful/attached parenting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*laika View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the slings, but he is with me, being carried or laid on top of quite a lot at the moment. I just hope it does reduce a bit soon, as it's difficult to get anywhere or go anywhere at the moment!
    Just want to say my LO is the same, always nursing and I spend a lot of the time on the coach, where she nurses, naps etc. She will only sleep on me or next to me. The sling really really does help. I have a moby which I personally like more than a sling just because I have lots of tension issues, and having all the weight spread out helps a lot.

DD is three months now, and there are still days I enjoy hanging out at home on the coach, but I know I can put her in the moby and get things done, whether it is a few things around the house our to the grocery store. She loves to sleep in the moby too.

Hope that helps and you can enjoy this time, but trust me I know exactly how you feel! I hated feeling stuck. It gets better!
    I'm Elizabeth, first time mom to Sofia Kerala, born Jan. 6, 2012 at home.

We are happily , , , and .

I'm an international teacher-librarian , currently working in Brazil.