Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: help reflux how to give gavison to breast fed baby

Default help reflux how to give gavison to breast fed baby

After battling with OALD and thrush we now have new problem reflux. baby was consantly being sick after feeds, started nursing upright and keeping him elavated for 30mins following feed, we have now been prescribed gaviscon but im struggling giving it to him as he spits most of it out with syringewould it be ok to give him 15mls in a bottle after feed or would thatlead to nipple confusion? any ideas would greatly be appriciated im losing the will to live with the screamming atm not giving it during night as not sure if you can make it up in advance?

Thanks

Default Re: help reflux how to give gavison to breast fed baby

How old is baby? Generally speaking, bottle introduction is not recommended until 4-6 weeks.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

4 weeks today I really dont want to use bottle but cant think of way of him getting it, i dont really want to use gaviscon either but cant stand him being in pain with it

When you're using the syringe are you squirting it into the back of his mouth? It sometimes works better if you squirt it into his cheek so that he swallows it naturally and doesn't gag. However, I had better luck with an infant dropper and let my ds suck the medication out

What about a cup or a spoon? Splitting the dosage up and giving him a smaller amount every five minutes?

I would be hesitant to introduce a bottle right now, but if nothing else is working you may have to. I would offer the bottle before the breast though, so that he is able to nurse until he is full on your breast after. If you wait until he is finished nursing he may not take the bottle.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

What PP says is how it worked for us. I had four reflux babies who needed meds.

I will say this. Bottle feeding does not magically cure reflux If that was true, my fourth woud have been fine.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!