Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still Seems Hungry after 10 Min Feed but wont latch back on.

Default Still Seems Hungry after 10 Min Feed but wont latch back on.

My 3 week old is breast feeding for about 7 to 10 mins each feed. He usually goes from 1 to 3 hours between feeds and seems to be latched on well. My problem is during the day feeds he will latch on for about 10 mins and feed well. He will then come off the breast and get really upset. He seems to want to latch back on as he will fuss at the breast. I try to latch him back on but he either cant latch on or wont, He will cry and put his hands in his mouth and can be very unsettled. We could spend an hour fussing and then he might feed again for 5 mins and then settle. Nearly all the feeds only last for about 10 mins or less.

I have started to express and offer him a top up on this night feed which he will normally take (about 2oz). He will then settle for 2 to 3 hours.

I am not sure if he wants to feed longer during the day and just cant latch on after feeding for 10 mins or if he is just unsettled for another reason, Any suggestions or help?

Default Re: Still Seems Hungry after 10 Min Feed but wont latch back

Welcome to the forum! 10 minutes is on the rapid end of the spectrum of feeding times for a 3 week-old baby, and that makes me wonder if you might not have a fast letdown of milk. Do you ever observe any of the following:
    - baby coughs, chokes, gags, splutters, or makes a "click" or "cluck" noise while nursing
    - baby comes off the breast frequently during a feeding
    - if baby pulls off the breast during a letdown, you may see milk squirting or streaming from the nipple
    - baby may "clamp down" on the nipple while feeding
    - baby may spit up large amounts after nursing

Fast letdowns usually stem from oversupply, so in addition to the list above, do you ever see any of these:
    - frequent feelings of engorgement or fullness
    - ability to pump multiple oz of milk with ease
    - lots of leaking

The reason I'm asking all of these questions is that with a young baby, a fast letdown is probably the most common explanation for a baby a) feeding quickly and b) refusing to go back onto the breast when his hunger is satiated. If this is the case, I urge you to avoid the pump for now, because that's a good way to maintain or increase a problematic oversupply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks so much. I do think I might have a slightly fast letdown. He would make loud gulping sounds when he is feeding and might come away crying after a couple of mins. He doesnt choke or cough. Sometime when I just start to feed a flow of milk would come out when I am trying to latch him on. I am only expressing once in the morning and would probably get about 4oz in about 25 mins. It eases the fullness which I would feel in the morning.

Just one other thing I noticed he seems to get frustrated when my breast starts to soften, maybe this is casing problem for him to latch back on?

Babies can develop a flow speed preference very quickly. Often a baby will fuss when the flow is too fast, and the same baby may fuss when the flow is too slow. Remember, he's learning to nurse just as you are, and at 3 weeks he's probably not yet very good at figuring out how to get your milk to keep coming out at the preferred rate, and he's probably not patient enough to wait and work for his preferred flow.

Your observation about the breast softening possibly making it difficult for baby to relatch is a good one. Do you switch him to the other breast when that happens? That might help.

It does sound like you might have a slightly fast letdown, which is very normal in a mom with a young baby. Since it's not causing you any major problems right now, I wouldn't do anything about it except wait. Your baby is very likely to grow into your flow speed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Thanks for the advice, will try switching him to the other breast when he starts fussing and getting upset.

Will hang in there and hopefully we will get a good technique going soon.

Let us know how it goes! If this is your worst problem at 3 weeks in, I think you and your baby are going to master breastfeeding very quickly.