Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Oversupply again?? Caffeine? Striking baby

Default Oversupply again?? Caffeine? Striking baby

I'm so exhausted. Emotionally and physically. My entire family is exhausted. I am marking the days off on my calendar until she's 12 months. She's 4.5 months.

She's been nursing in her sleep well the last week. And I'm getting 8 - 10 feedings into her each day. But because I don't know what her normal habits are at this age, I can't follow her cues. She's not cueing. She's not demanding. Maybe I'm feeding her too much in her sleep?? I will admit that on the days I hit 10 feedings, I feel like a million bucks for being able to feed my breast-refusing striking baby 10 times in her sleep. And as a result, 8 feedings leaves me feeling a little bummed.

Because this weekend she's popping off in her sleep when my milk letsdown. So then an hour or so later, I nurse her on the same side in her sleep. Same thing. She nurses through the beginning of my letdown again and then comes off and I'm spraying everywhere. [sigh]

Is it possible I'm overfeeding her to the point that I'm overstimulating my supply? I do think she will have gained 2 lbs in a month. Is that above average? For a 4 month old?

I have started leaking again some.

Also, she's really fidgety and bouncy and kicky, so I went off caffeine wondering if that would calm her down. I only have one 32 oz. soda each day. MAYBE two, but almost always one each day. It's been a couple of weeks with no caffeine and now I'm kinda wondering if the lack of caffeine has somehow boosted my supply?? Is that absurd??

I also take 4000 IU of Vit D because I have dark skin and we don't get out each day since I'm stuck at home waiting for her to fall asleep to feed, and I don't want to give her drops. I take Omega 3s and my regular ol' prenatal. The Vit D and the Omega 3s are new. Would any of these be bumping up my supply??

Thanks mamas!

Default Re: Oversupply again?? Caffeine? Striking baby

I have not heard of those supplements boosting supply. I wouldn't worry. If you hit 8, cool. If you hit 10 cool. You should feel like a million bucks regardless! You are doing it! You are feeding her and meeting her needs. There are babies her that never strike that don't gain 2 lbs in a month. Don't let this exhaust you emotionlly. She is doing fine. Don't worry about her ques or lack thereof. Offer when you see cues or when she is sleepy. The rest of the time RELAX. Your supply hasn't taken a hit, and your baby is getting enough to eat. That is the name of the game. That is all anyone here is trying to do. And you are doing it. Please cut yourself and your striking baby some slack. She is getting what she needs from you. If anything, not drinking soda/caffeine can only help. BOTH of you. You are better off not drinking 32oz of soda a day. Believe that. Stay focused. But let go of some of the pressure. You don't really win any special prizes for feeding the baby while awake. We just want you to feed the baby. And she will come back around. So just think that and know it and don't grieve the relationship because it's not over. If your baby actually strikes until her 1st B-day she will be the first baby I have ever heard of that does. We are rooting for you Mama!

Way too lazy for formula

with the PP. Baby is on track to gain 2 lbs this month? Then pat yourself on the back, because job well done!

I'm not entirely clear- is baby refusing to nurse during the day?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She's striking. She won't nurse while awake at all. And she is still feeding her 8-10 times a day. All in her sleep.

Way too lazy for formula

You're doing a great job!! Even 6 times a day would be awesome given where you guys are at! I think you should cut the soda. Did you really mean that you ONLY drink one 32 ounce soda a day? Or did you mean 12 ounces? I would wean yourself off of that and onto water mama.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post

I'm not entirely clear- is baby refusing to nurse during the day?
    Thank you!

Yes, she's been striking when she's alert for 2.5 months. I nurse her in her sleep during naptimes and when she wakes up at night, at least twice a night (11-8 or so). She goes to bed around 7:30 We co-sleep so she's not really waking up all the way at night just stirring and smacking. But she's starting to refuse a little at night too. She will be sucking her thumb and I pull it out (which is tough - she's strong) without waking her up and then nurse her. She pulls off sometims and turns her head just as she does during the day.

I haven't been giving bottles that often, now like once a week, she might take 1 or 2 oz. from a bottle. I have read about offering one at the breast where it's held almost in the mother's armpit. What do you think about this? Would this help her to remember that she is fed in this position?

I say, if she's gaining weight appropriately with what you're doing (which is awesome, by the way), then why try to add in bottles? Seems like that's would juste complicate matters.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    I say, if she's gaining weight appropriately with what you're doing (which is awesome, by the way), then why try to add in bottles? Seems like that's would juste complicate matters.
    Sometimes, like this morning, she hasn't nursed for 6 hours because she wouldn't nurse in her sleep this morning before we got up and she nursed during her nap until my milk letdown so she hasn't had an actual full feeding.

When she does this, I feel like I need to give her a bottle. She doesn't go 6 hours at night tho, but right now she's hungry and awake so I feel like I need to feed her. She's not screaming hungry. She's just giving regular cues and acting kinda antsy. But I KNOW she's hungry.

And I can't guarantee she will nurse well in her sleep later when she naps, ya know? She won't take much from it. Sometimes I even hear her tummy growl. Break my heart!

Aw...

I don't know what to tell you!

What about a cup feeding whil she's awake?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    Aw...

I don't know what to tell you!

What about a cup feeding whil she's awake?
    She's so hyper. I've tried that. She's kicking and squirming and jumping around. I had the best results in a bumbo but even that was mostly spilled.

I had her timed just right for a while but she's changing things up on me.