Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What age to introduce water?

Default What age to introduce water?

I think this is the right place to post this?

DS will be eight weeks a week from today. We've introduced the sippy as in putting a little water or BM in it and letting him play, but I really haven't tried anything more than that. When is it necessary for them to have water? I really don't know as DD was formula fed from 4 months on and I was dumb and listened to whatever my mom told me.....which was basically give her everything but steak at 2 months! LOL

We have been on solids a while but not much, just 2-4 oz per day (in two different settings) if that matters. We still nurse on demand, too, if that matters.

Default Re: What age to introduce water?

please tell me you mean 8 months and not 8 weeks

I always offered water with solids to help her digestion (for constipation). I've heard that its not necessary to offer water if baby is drinking bm on demand, as all needs for liquid should be met that way. So its ok to do so, but not necessary. Also if you're practicing with a sippy, you can also practice with regular cup drinking. its a useful skill and there's no "too early" for learning that imo.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

My son was 7-8 months when we started introducing a sippy, more to play with and get used to than for actual drinking, but he got some water out of it. If I'm not mistaken (I'll look for some links), it can be dangerous to introduce water too early; babies' kidneys aren't mature enough to process it if I recall correctly. Will be back.

Oh, yes, eight MONTHS! LOL Sorry! Ha! I can't imagine what some people were thinking if they read this! LOL Eight MONTHS, not weeks!

Whew!