Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply issues or something else?

Default Supply issues or something else?

DS will be 8 months old a week from today. We have had no supply issues, even when I pumped/bottle fed for weeks 5-ish-9ish due to painful thrush. Well, we did have a little trouble keeping up, but I took Reglan and ended up making way more than he was taking. Anyway, he's had reflux issues that we finally have worked out, but that did cause him to not nurse when he was hungry because he was in so much pain. And I'd be overly full/leaking due to it. I did try to pump during those times but never wanted to create oversupply as I end up with OALD when I do that.

Right after we got the reflux meds adjusted to where he was doing great, he got a bad cold and didn't eat much at all....again leading to me being overly full/leaking. Found out he had an ear infection and the pedi guessed that's why he wasn't eating as he normally does.

A week later, went to the pedi to have his ears checked because he was still fussy/tugging on that ear and his ears were fine, however he has two bottom teeth coming in.

Now, due to the reflux, he's never slept long at all. Some nights never longer than 20 minute at a time. Once the reflux was better, he would sleep 1.5-2 hours at a time. That was just 1-2 weeks before the cold/ear infection. Now he's back to being up every 20, 30, 45 minutes, sometimes every 1.5 hours.

I keep telling myself it's because of not feeling well, but now I'm second-guessing myself. Here's why: I used to pump when I worked during the day 12+ ounces and he'd take exactly 12 ounces (3 4-ounce bottles) and every now and then just 8 ounces. There has only been two times that work was where I couldn't pump as frequently and I pumped about 8 ounces those days. That's been a couple months ago.

The last two weeks, I'm not able to pump 12 ounces a day. I'm doing good to pump 10 and the last two days it's been 8-9 ounces. I'm doing nothing different.

So, do you ladies think maybe my supply has dropped and that's why he's up all night trying to eat? He has wet diapers (IDK how many and I know I should be keeping track of it) and he has dirty diapers. He's gaining weight okay per his pedi. He was 8 lbs 11 oz at birth and is now 17 lbs a week before his 8 month. He has never eaten more than one 4-ounce jar of baby food all day long and it's usually more like 2 ounces of baby food. He's not a big eater and likes the baby food but seems to get full really fast which is fine with me. I have ALWAYS nursed him on demand, even all night long when he wants. I thought that would ensure my supply would be fine!?

What do you-all think? What should I do? I'm going on almost 8 months of sleeping no more than 1-2 hours at a time, usually WAY less! I haven't let DH do nighttimes because it doesn't make sense for me to get up and pump and both of us have to be up, kwim? But I can't keep going like this!!!!!! I'm feeling like crying the last few days from the exhaustion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just want to sleep! I just want him to sleep! I just want to KNOW he's getting enough and that's not why he's up all night! I need help!

Default Re: Supply issues or something else?

What kind of pump are you using? Are you sure that it's working well? You may need to switch out membranes or something. Also, it's been m experience that pumping gets more difficult & takes longer as baby gets older I used to be able to pump what I needed in 10-15 min, now it takes me 30-40 to get the same amount! Luckily, the pump is not a good indicator of supply, so chances are that your supply is fine I'm sure it's hard to tell since your LO has always nursed frequently, but does he seem satisfied after he nurses? Teething could have something to do with the frequent waking too.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time!
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*juliasmomma View Post
    What kind of pump are you using? Are you sure that it's working well? You may need to switch out membranes or something. Also, it's been m experience that pumping gets more difficult & takes longer as baby gets older I used to be able to pump what I needed in 10-15 min, now it takes me 30-40 to get the same amount! Luckily, the pump is not a good indicator of supply, so chances are that your supply is fine I'm sure it's hard to tell since your LO has always nursed frequently, but does he seem satisfied after he nurses? Teething could have something to do with the frequent waking too.

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time!
    Medela PIS pump is what I use. Some weeks I don't work/pump at all, others I pump 2-3 different days. One or two weeks since I've been back to work I've pumped 4-5 days in a week. I've just always gotten the same or more than he takes and now, all of a sudden, I'm getting less. And he's always taken the same amount since he was 10-12 weeks old. I do have a little supply biult up (maybe 50 4-ounce bags) but that's it. I would have a TON more (maybe 50 or more bags) but I threw it all out because it's what I pumped during a thrush outbreak (so not the right wording but you kwim) and didn't want to end up with it again. Now I'm wishing I would have kept it!!!!

I've been tempted to even supplement one bottle of formula before bed to see if that works, though I know that's not the right thing to do. I'm just desperate feeling!!!!! And I really doubt he'd take it because he started refusing formula at a week old when he started nursing. LOL He'd take a pumped milk bottle but would have NOTHING to do with that nasty-smelling formula! and

I just hope he's getting enough and is waking for all these other reasons! I'd hate to be going crazy over no sleep if that's the only reason! But I figure nursing him on demand is the best way to keep up with my supply, right, and to increase it?

Yes, the best way to keep up with baby is to nurse on demand. But when a working mom starts falling behind, she may have to add in some additional pumping sessions to her routine. If she can't get enough over the course of the workday, she should add some sessions at home. She should also check her pump and make sure it's in good shape- as the PP mentioned, they do wear down after a while and you might need to replace the membranes or have the motor reconditioned.

The level of night-waking you're experiencing is normal, although insanely frustrating. Your LO may be waking frequently because he is making up for missing you during the day by getting your attention all night long- but don't blame your career for this issue because I stayed at home with my kids and they both did the same thing! You might want to check out a copy of Elizabeth Pantley's book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" for some gentle techniques that might help you cut down on the night-waking.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"