Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: caregiver frusteration

Default caregiver frusteration

My MIL graciously agreed to watch my baby while I go back to work for a couple
    months. She does not know anything about breast feeding and try as might, she is
    convinced that my baby is starving. We have the blessing of the pediatrician
    and a lactation consultant that I am doing everything right. I have a guide on how
    much needs to be fed in 24 hours based on the baby's weight and also my gut about how much I should leave in a bottle and the frequency at which the bottles should be given. I am basing the bottle frequency based on how I fed my baby during my
    maternity leave. We are also weighing my baby each night in order to make sure
    we make this transition smoothly.
    So my question/issue is this: when my baby acts like wanting to latch on MIL, does
    this necessarily mean that my baby is still hungry? My MIL is convinced that my baby is still hungry. I say no, because I did ebf and this is my baby's first time having
    someone other than daddy give the bottle (baby does not try to latch on daddy). My baby has the appropriate wet diapers, enough poopy ones and my baby is putting on about on ounce a day.
    Please reassure me that I really do know best and that my MIL as gracious as she is, is utterly clueless about breast fed babies.
    Oh, and please reassure me that my baby will grow out of the wanting to latch on
    any female caregiver phase eventually. I don't want my baby to be a pariah at
    daycare.

Default Re: caregiver frusteration

Does baby take a pacifier (I think also called a "dummy")? Babies just have a need to suck and that may be all it is.

Yes, we do use a pacifier. Our baby is quite the fussy one, so we do pop the pacifier in the mouth to try to calm him.

Maybe she really thinks all the fussing is hunger when really its just a fussy baby. Sometimes people would rather give a bottle than find other remedies. Do you think that could be it?

My babies used to try to latch onto my husband. They grow out of it.

An ounce a day - that's GREAT weight gain.

How much are you leaving for the baby and how many ounces per bottle?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I'm leaving 4 bottles with 3oz in each.