Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long to keep trying the bottles?

Default How long to keep trying the bottles?

My little one is three months and we are trying to introduce a bottle of EBM because I'll be going back to work in about three weeks, when she is 4 months. DH has tried several times and she usually just throws a fit. I always leave usually going outside to walk the dog for 5-10 minutes but when I come back she is almost screaming and I can tell it really frustrates DH. I'm going to try and get some other types, although I'm limited in my options here in Brazil.

My question is how long did you keep trying before introducing a sippy instead? Is 3-4 months to you for a sippy??

We are hiring a nanny to start next week so I'll have her try also. The baby will be coming to my work place every day at lunch to nurse, so part of me wonders if she will just end up not eating much anyway when she is away from me and I shouldn't stress, but I would feel much better if I knew she was getting some milk while away from me. Plus I'll have to be pumping anyway.
    I'm Elizabeth, first time mom to Sofia Kerala, born Jan. 6, 2012 at home.

We are happily , , , and .

I'm an international teacher-librarian , currently working in Brazil.

Default Re: How long to keep trying the bottles?

My third baby never took well to a bottle and we quit with it at 5 months.

I had to stop using bottles for several weeks when my fourth had surgery at three months. A sippy was time consuming but do-able.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My husband started working on bottles at about 6 weeks by doing one feeding every day unless we were traveling or otherwise not at home during a feeding. By 10 weeks, our son would take a bottle, but it would take almost an hour to give it to him. He just wasn't into it. We kept at it, and I left the house for several hours at a time so our son wouldn't see or smell me and "hold off" until I came to feed him. By time I went back to work at 12 weeks, he was taking down 16-20 ounces per 8 hour day, and now he seamlessly goes between bottle and breast. So, keep trying. Leave the house, tell your husband not to get frustrated, that will only agitate the baby. Try every day until he/she gets used to it. Also, Tommee Tippee bottles seem to mimic the breast pretty well. Don't get discouraged!
    Mom to Son B born 7/13/11

Wow! 16 to 20 ounces of milk is a lot for an 8 hour day. Babies typically need between 1 and 1.5 ounces of milk per hour while away from mom.

I would give the sippy cup a try and also try different types of bottles.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the encouragement ladies. Our nanny started today so I'm having her try as well. She tried twice today, both times before DD started showing signs of hunger, yet as soon as the bottles got near her, she starts screaming. I know we have to be patient and keep trying. The idea of leaving her for a few hours is terrifying! She is such a good nurser, it really calms her down so leaving and knowing she will cry and I'm not there to give her that comfort is so hard. In my mind I know it will be OK, but my heart is just not ready yet.

I was able to find a Dr. Brown bottle as well as another brand that looks good, I'm not remembering what it is right now, so we will give those a try also. 17 days till I return to work

[QUOTE=@llli*mommy2lilah;1257779]Wow! 16 to 20 ounces of milk is a lot for an 8 hour day. Babies typically need between 1 and 1.5 ounces of milk per hour while away from mom.

QUOTE]

That 16-20 oz was only for a few months. He now drinks about 12 ounces from 8-5:30. But he is not hungry when he wakes up first thing in the morning, so both numbers includes his early morning feeding. So I suppose it would be over 12 hours.

Anyway, the point was to tell OP that it got easier for us eventually... and to keep trying and don't give up!
    Mom to Son B born 7/13/11

Just went through this! I've been back to work for 5 weeks. Shaela *just* started taking 8 oz. On Thurs and Fri, hallelujah! It was rough on my parents, they just kept trying different bottles. The Comotomo worked best because you can squeeze the milk into their mouth if they refuse to latch - unfortunately this also mimics OALD, so she screamed, but got down 1-3 oz a day for the past few weeks.

Thankfully my husband could bring her into work for one nursing, but it was usually 8 hours after the last nursing.

The other problem is LO won't want to sleep, so the caregiver will have to learn some tricks. I use Dr. Karp's "windshield wiper" technique (rocking baby back and forth on legs while shushing) and this seems to work for my dad.

Bottom line, it won't be easy at first, and you will cry the first few days after leaving, but it will get better and you'll both adjust! Have a caregiver who is invested in their welfare (hopefully who doesn't have other kids to watch) and I recommend co-sleeping at night so baby gets the extra calories. Keep weighing her, too, to make sure she's gaining.

I have heard other mothers who say baby never takes a bottle. My parents tried the sippy cup, like 5 different bottles, and originally used a dropper to make sure she got something! Trial and error!

Good luck!!

Also, check for lipase! I scald my pumped milk everyday when I get home. It's a juggle, but we get it done! By then, she's so tired we just veg in the couch the rest of the evening and she eats and sleeps

Thanks shaelasmommy! So far we have tried two bottles without much success. I have a third to try, but I also tried out a sippy cup last night and it went much much better. I don't think she ate much but she didn't scream and refuse to put it in her mouth.