Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get my baby to sleep

Angry How can I get my baby to sleep

As I have said in previous posts, I have too much milk which flows too fast, nothing I do seems to help, so it looks like something that my baby and I are going to have to live with! However I am really struggling to get my baby to sleep during the day. She will only nurse to sleep, if her sleeps coincide with her feeds, it sometimes works, however, she wants to sleep more often than she is hungry. She wants to nusprse to sleep but gets really upset with the milk as she is not hungry enough for loads of milk. Often, even when sleep and feed time coincide, there is just too much fast flowing milk for her to be able to comfort nurse, she is full before the milk slows enough for her to be able to fall asleep. Sometimes I feel as though she forces herself to take a lot more milk than she actually wants, just so that she can get themilk flow slow enough to fall asleep. Ifeel like this could be exacerbating my OS. I love nursing her to sleep and am feeling really upset that I am unable to comfort her! She seems to get enough milk in a couple of minutes but is unable to fall asleep in this short time. She is so tired and is constantly yawning and rubbing her eyes and is obviously miserable because she is so tired. I'm really not sure what to do. Would love to hear your ideas as my baby really needs to sleep! I'm DFINITELY opposed to letting her cry it out!

Default Re: How can I get my baby to sleep

I can't remember what you've said elsewhere. Have you tried putting a pacifier in her mouth? What about walking around with her? Bouncing on an exercise ball with or without a pacifier in her mouth?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

This is EXACTLY how it was for me and A2. I have OS and OALD and she would be full so fast and couldn't comfort nurse and REFUSES binkis. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel! After doing block feeding for a while and her getting a bit older she now comfort nurses for every nap to sleep and bedtime and during the night Have you tried block feeding?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Will she fall asleep in other ways, like if you wear her in a wrap or a carrier? Or if you just rock her and sing to her, maybe with a pacifier, or even without? What about taking her for a walk in a stroller outside, if it's warm enough?
    Mom to a spirited DS1, born 2/21/2011, and DS2, born 7/3/2014.

I agree, absolute worst case, OALD is something that usually calms down with time, and that the baby grows into. So you don't need to worry about a few months down the road, bc it's bound to get easier. The goal is to find coping mechanisms for now. For me (I also had OALD which made nursing to sleep hard), walking around with the baby in a wrap or sling generally did the trick, although not always.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Bouncing on the yoga ball or wearing in the Moby wrap helped a lot until A2 was able to really comfort nurse
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I have been block feeding, really since she was born, it just doesn't seem to help. I would like to avoid using a pacifier if I can. I have tried everything to get her to sleep but she just wants to nurse to sleep, and then gets really upset with the milk. Maybe I will try using the carrier a bit more as haven't tried that regularly. At what age did yours grow big enough to cope?

Around 5-6 months is when it got really a lot better. I also only feed on one side per feeding.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Things slowly got easier starting around 3 months, but continuing to improve until 6 months.

Joe never took to a pacifier. Oh, how I wished he would, but no go.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

My babe is 23 weeks and no improvement yet, just hoping it gets better really soon for both our sakes!