Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Night Sweats

Default Night Sweats

Hi I'm new to this forum and was just wondering if anyone had suffered from night sweats whilst breast feeding..... This is my fourth child and he is 8 weeks old and for the last 2 weeks I have encountered terrible sweating through the day and before waking at night for each feed, the bed is soaking wet and I'm cold to touch..... I breast fed all my children my last one who is two for 18 months until I fell pregnant with number 4.... I have been to the doctors and he said that it was panic attacks and I know its definately not, I have the most supportive husband and family and feel very safe in my home environment so have no need to panic.... Can anyone offer any advice.....
    Many thanks
    Bev xxx and baby 8 weeks old

Default Re: Night Sweats

I shed buckets of sweat for a surprisingly long time after mine was born. I don't remember how long it lasted, but I think it was a couple months. It was just a hormonal thing, which adjusted and eventually went away. I got pretty bloated at the end of my pregnancy; so there was a lot of water to lose too. I don't know if this is what is going on with you, but if you are not feeling anxiety when you are sweating then I'm certain it's not a panic attack. My brother used to get those and he would be absolutely terrified.

I'm 2 weeks postpartum and have night sweats. I did after my first child, too. I can't remember how long it lasted. I think it's a combination of hormones and exhaustion.
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

I had them with all 3, up until about 7 months. Totally sucked!!! Its normal, but if its not normal for you, you might call your doctor. (((HUGS)))

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I agree, it's likely related to hormones. If you feel okay mentally (not too much stress or anxiety), I personally wouldn't think it's a panic attack. I'm currently pregnant and have AWFUL night sweats almost every night. It's pretty brutal.

I actually had them for a long while even before this pregnancy, but I was in the process of weaning my ds2. I had all my hormone levels checked and everything appeared in the 'normal' range, but I think even if something is *slightly* off, it can cause things like this. My midwife suggested acupuncture, which I never did try.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'

I had this as well. I think it's your body shedding water it retained during pregnancy (or during birth, especially if you got IV fluids) plus, later, hormones. It did get better over time for me.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

hormonal
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I had night sweats. In fact I was warned by my midwife that I may experience night sweats, so I assume that means it is a normal thing.

People say every pregnancy is different, and I guess every post-pregnancy is different, too, so I wouldn't worry that it didn't happen with your first babies.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.