Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Biting when finished nursing

Default Biting when finished nursing

My 12 month old has taken to biting me and pulling off the breast with his teeth clenched when he's done nursing. Since he's already off, unlatching him isn't the issue, and since he's already done, stopping the nursing session doesn't have any impact on him. I've looked for signs he's about to do it, and nothing stands out. I don't want to scare him or give him a reaction that makes it a game but I DO want him to stop! Any advice?

Default Re: Biting when finished nursing

Signs he's stopped actively drinking, like reduced swallowing?
    Mama to a sweet kitty born July 2012 and monkey #2 born August 2015.

He comfort nurses a lot, so that isn't a good indicator. He only bites during the day, but that's really the only thing I've noticed as a pattern.

that happened to me too! also at 1year old, and it hurts! i even got a wound on one breast, a real month of hell...but good news is it only lasted a month! so just wait patiently, try to antecipate, and don't get hurt, because with a wound that's when it trully hurts good luck

I WISH I had advice. I just joined the LLL forums because I am struggling with the same exact problem (13 mo old baby) and am hoping for advice or at least reassurance. Sometimes he does it with no warning because he's "done" -- and sometimes he simply refuses to stop sucking for 30+ minutes, so I try to gently remove him from the breast and he just bites down harder. And then smiles and chuckles. It is infuriating and also heartbreaking because it is making me really anxious and tempted to wean him completely (we are down to 1-2 sessions per day -- I wonder if he is frustrated about that and that's part of what's causing this?). Anyway -- I feel your pain -- and hope we can both take comfort in the idea that this is hopefully a temporary thing. Fingers crossed.