Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding Friendly dentist in NY?

Default Breastfeeding Friendly dentist in NY?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum hopefully someone can help me.
    My daughter is almost 2.5 yrs old , i took her to her first visit on This past april and it was not what I expected. She has some cavities in her upper teeth, nothing on the bottom, when they asked me if i still nurse to sleep the dentist when off on me and everyone including other people waiting to be seen heard everything. I never thought she has cavities,she has some white on stain on her upper frontal teeth but she has never been in pain.
    So i would like to hear another opinion, i would like to find a breastfeeding friendly dentist around the area.
    Also if you once were in this position what was the outcome, dis you stop nursing at night? What did you do?
    I appreciate all answers

Default Re: Breastfeeding Friendly dentist in NY?

I do not have suggestions for specific dentist, I would suggest contact local LLL or Breastfeeding USA to see if they can help. But aside from second opinion, I think you want to change dentists no matter what. IMO a dentist, who "goes off on you" because your 2 year old child has a couple cavities, which is a common enough scenario, is unprofessional at best and unstable at worst and you should never trust your child's care to someone like that. Be glad he or she went off on you for this so you know to stay far away. What if he or she went off on your child for biting or not brushing or something? Children's dentistry is a specialty that must be practiced by very calm and accepting people, IMO.

But you do not need to see another actual dentist for a second opinion. All you need is the Journal of the American Dental Association: Early childhood dental caries have many possible causes but there is insufficient evidence that they are caused by breastfeeding is the current understanding among those who have actually studied the issue. See:http://jada.ada.org/article/S0002-81...ltext#cesec200

" Valaitis and colleagues concluded that the findings of their systematic review did not provide clear evidence of a strong association between breastfeeding and ECC. Researchers in the three comparative studies reviewed by White determined that no evidence existed to confirm an association between breastfeeding and ECC. (Early Childhood Caries) Hence, White concluded that, because of the evidence demonstrating important maternal and child health benefits associated with breastfeeding, scientifically rigorous research is needed to elucidate whether associations exist between breastfeeding and ECC, and such evidence is lacking. She recommended that dental professionals encourage parents to begin practicing healthy oral hygiene with their children as soon as the first tooth erupts, and they should keep intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to a minimum."

My 3 kids all nursed/nurse to sleep well past two and none have yet ever had a cavity. While good dental hygiene (regular brushing, avoiding excessive sweets) does help, cavities or no cavities are often the luck of the genetic draw.

If my kids got cavities when still nursing, personally I would start chewing xylitol gum: http://www.kiddsteeth.com/dental-top...r_childs_teeth

That dentist linked above is in Albany, NY
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; July 19th, 2015 at 01:51 PM.