Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Long Term Supplementing

Default Re: Long Term Supplementing

She was evaluated for transfer issues and that doesn't seem to be the problem. I try to pump about an hour after the start of our feed and usually get 1/2-2/3 and ounce. I was doing this to increase supply; I don't do this every time as it didn't seem to be helping and I was going crazy being stuck in the house all the time sticking to that schedule. She usually goes to bed around 9PM and sleeps till 6 or 7 AM so I pump 3 times int hat period. I usually get 1-1.5 ounces from each pumping at those times. She gets all the expressed milk at night.

I wish it was a transfer issue or just in my head; I keep reliving the birth we had just trying to get a different outcome (as if I could) because of the breast feeding issues we've had. Its been a very challenging time for me, and I've found that accepting the situation is helping me find peace with everything.

I'm going to stick with the 2 oz bottles based on whats been said. I'd really like to make it to at least 6 months for her benefit, so all of these tips and suggestions are very helpful!

I understand reliving the birth. I did that ever day for 17 months (until my daughter was born).

To try and figure everything out (and see if I can help you in your thought process about how much and when to supplement)I am going to reword what I think you have said and ask some more questions.

Based on a good long history of weigh-feed-weighs you have a good idea that baby is getting 1-1.5oz per nursing session
    You pump 0.5-0.75 oz an hour later.
    You mostly nurse-bottle-nurse feed.
    You are doing a ton of stuff to increase your supply

How is baby doing weight-wise? A weight history would be fantastic.
    How often do you nurse? An example nursing schedule would also be great
    Are you cosleeping?
    proud but exhausted working mammy to two high needs babies

• my surprise baby: the one and only D-Man born 3 weeks late (5/5/08) at 9 lbs 14 oz and 21.5 inches, and
    • the shock H-Girl born about a week late (10/7/09) at 8lbs 15oz and 20.75 inches.

If I am here I am covered in baby (probably two) and fighting for control of the keyboard.

Family beds are awesome

Wondering if you have PPD? Take the screening and see your doctor. You deserve to feel better.

I don't know her weight history. She was supplemented from day one because I spent several days in ICU, so her weight has never been an issue. She was born at 6 lb 6 oz and was 9 lb 7 oz at 9 weeks.

I nurse on demand, which is usually around 6AM, 9AM, 12PM, 2PM, 4PM, then cluster feeding from 6PM till about 9PM. But that is just an estimate, of course. At this point I generally only find time to pump twice during the day, and then 3 times after she has gone to bed.

I don't cosleep; she sleeps right next to me and I pick her up as soon as she starts to wake. I have starting cosleeping in the mornings just because I'm too tired to do anything else. So from 7AM to about 10AM she hangs out next to me while I sleep and she nurses on demand. I wake up when she starts to fuss or I need to switch which side she is on to get the other breast.

That sounds so good. Just give a couple ounces of supplement if you need to, kwim. You'll make it
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Ok, well after the heartache of the last few days of her rejecting/constantly getting frustrated at the breast I have decided I am done breastfeeding. This has been emotional hell; all I wanted to do was breastfeed and I can't and now the baby doesn't even want to try. I've tried everything to make this work and just can't handle the stress and heartache anymore

So I'm going to just pump for her from here on out. I was thinking 6 times a day for 20 minutes each time. Does that seem reasonable? Any advice?

oh, mama, i'm so sorry to hear how frustrated you must be today!

you'll need to pump for her a lot more than that to keep up your supply. you'll have to see how your body reacts to the pump and how long it takes to get a second letdown - for me it was 26 mins each time, others longer. and you'll need to pump at least every 3 hours. maybe since your supply is established you could go 6 hours at night. exclusive pumping is HARD WORK so ... take it a day at a time. just pump today, and see if tomorrow or next week or next month she'll take the breast again.

and hang in there, and keep seeking support here and elsewhere!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

6 times a day is not enough. And I am confused. Based on all the times a day it says you are nursing on demand when exactly did she start rejecting your breast? Are you only giving her bottles at night time?

Way too lazy for formula

Thelast three days she has been very fussy and impatient every time I try to get her to latch on. She just doesn't seem to want to breastfeed, probably because of the low supply. She has been extra hungry these past few days. She gets a bottle with evry feeding, based on her hunger. There have only been a handful of times she has been satisfied by breastfeeding. Its very disheartening to have her constantly be unsatisfied by what I can provide and now suddenly be uninterested in even trying.
    Last edited by @llli*supersarrr; April 13th, 2012 at 11:34 PM.

It sounds more like nipple preference to me. Which Confused me since you said you were feeding her at the breast all those times a day. But if you are always topping her off at the end with a bottle at every feed than it makes sense. I am not convinced that your supply is that off. Or that you can't bring it back. It is totally fine if you need to supplement. But everything you are saying about what you are getting both pumping and as far as her transferring sounds well within the normal range. Most babies get between 1 and 3oz a feeding. If she is getting on or 1.5 at every feed and is eating every 1-3 hours that is enough. Extra hungry these past few days probably has to do with a growth spurt. Your space seems pretty self defeating. You seem super convinced that you aren't/can't make enough. But when an EBF child goes through a spurt, you don't stop breastfeeding, you breastfeed MORE. And you know what? At 10 weeeks in EVERYONE is super owherwhelmed and most of us didn't get off the couch except to pee and change diapers and get more food. It is a fulltime job in the beginning. Getting your supply regulated and getting your baby to learn how to latch and eat. So if you need to supplement by all means do it. But a learning curve is normal and if you have been giving her a bottle all along it's very likely that she is deciding she likes it better because it's easier. So if you have to supplement I suggest moving into 1-2 bottles a day given by someone else and the rest of the time keep her at your breast. Because a hungry kid that thinks the breast is the ONLY way to get food will eat. A kid who knows that after the breast they are going to get fed an easier way, very well may reject the breast. But don't resign youself to the idea that you can't make enough because you had a rough beginning. It can be done. But you have to believe it. Breastfeeding doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. But if you only pump 6 times a day you WILL lose your supply. And I'd rather see you work to keep it. Because your baby deserves your milk. As much of it as she can get.

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, that sounds like nipple preference to me.

And NO, that is NOT enough pumping. At all. 120 minutes total for at least 8 sessions a day. With at least 1 between midnight and 5am. For at least 12 weeks. Then you might be able to drop to 6 a day. Maybe. And you must rent or buy a hospital grade pump.

EPing is MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than BFING. This frustration you feel now is NOTHING compared to how you will feel when you are hooked up like a cow and your baby is crying for you. Or messes with the pump. I have been EPing for 15 months, and this is the hardest thing I have ever done, and I have done some hard things in my life.

Don't give up!!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!