Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stressed out!

Default Stressed out!

My son is just over 12 weeks and about 4 weeks ago he quit feeding at the breast. I decided that I would just pump and feed him with the bottle. I also had a LOT of milk in the freezer from when he was first born because I was producing so much, I would pump and then store it. I have gone back to work and my production has dropped
    tremendously. When I pump, I do not pump enough for the day, so I have to break into my stash to supplement. At this point, I am okay, but I know the rate I am going I will slowly use that stash and not be able to give him breast milk, if I don't figure out something quickly.

I have started taking fenugreek, drinking Mothers Milk tea, and I have been pumping every 2-3 hours to try and get my supply back up. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I am so stressed out. I do not want to give my baby formula. It makes me teary eyed thinking about it. .

Everyone's suggestions have been to get him to feed at the breast again, that is the best thing. Whenever I do he throws the biggest fit, cries, screams, etc. Then I get frustrated, give him a bottle and tell myself well I guess I will just pump.

Has anyone tried introducing the breast after a long period time? Any suggestions on this?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

Default Re: Stressed out!

Oh, mama, I feel for you! I made the mistake of giving my little girl a bottle at 4 days old (she still wasn't able to get the milk out herself) and I completely ruined our breastfeeding chances. At 12 weeks she would nurse for a bit when she wasn't really hungry, but I couldn't get her to really stay at it for long and I had to return to work...For me the thing that worked long term to keep my supply up so that I could pump enough and not have to give my daughter formula was domperidone. I took 120mg per day for well over a year...

I'm trying to think of all the places I used to go for back-to-the-breast advice, but it's been well over a year. Hopefully some of the other mamas will jump in with some handy links. I think there was an article on Kellymom, Dr. Jack Newman and the Lact-Aid nursing trainer site had a lot of indformation and tools. There are even a few articles here about mothers who got babies back to breastfeeding and even adoptive babies who had only had bottles to nurse... I've heard that bathing with your baby is a great way to bond, relax and fire up those breastfeeding instincts...

Good luck...Don't give up hope - have you been to a LLL meeting? Sometimes the leaders are able to give you some help. If you contact them ahead of time they might come armes with some ideas...
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogsp...reastfeed.html

I would suggest using a different method of feeding first. Toss the bottles. Give him his milk via a dropper. Something like that.

Try lots of non pressure topless cuddling.

Try a warm bath with baby.

Now, that you are not pumping enough, there are a few things you can do:
    1. Is baby being overfed? Like are you sure you are not producing enough?
    2. What kind of pump do you have and have you recently maintained it by switching the membranes, etc?
    3. How often are you pumping and how long are you pumping? An EPing mother MUST pump a total of 120 minutes a day broken in 6-8 sessions at 3 months. That is a lot of time.
    4. Do you use breast compressions?
    5. Have you tried domperidone? I have not needed it myself, but unfortunately, too many mamas who try EPing end up in your shoes and end up requiring it.
    6. Have you seen an IBCLC?

Too bad nobody helped you with the strike There are ways to overcome those and keep nursing.

EPing is a HUGE commitment, and it is so very much not easier than breastfeeding directly, so yes, I concur with getting your LO to nurse if possible. At the same time, you need to adjust your pumping routine and see about making more milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks everyone for the advice and support!

Few questions ...

Where do I get domperidone?

Also how much should he be eating at a feeding? I don't know if this is wrong or not but he kind of just eats when he is hungry? Should I set up specific feeding times and amounts?

No, a bottlefed baby still deserves to be fed on cue. That could be every hour. Could be every 4. It depends.

Most babies take no more than 4 oz at a sitting, and that is when they are bigger. Figure 1 oz per hour. At 12 weeks, mine was drinking 3 oz every 3 hours, more or less.

Dom....it is prescription. Ask your midwife.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

LLL frowns on posting where to get domperidone, so I can't. But whatever you do, DON'T TAKE REGLAN!!!
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Exciting news! My baby has been breastfeeding! I'm excited, but I still feel like he isn't getting enough. When should I start seeing an increase in my supply, now that he is breastfeeding?

That's great! Is he nursing most of the time when you are together now? Why do you feel like he's not getting enough? How many wet diapers is he having?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I also wanted to ask how much your baby is taking while away from you? Because often the DCP is overfeeding. And if you have been exclusively bottlefeeding, you too could be iverfeeding. The rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz of milk for every hour away from you. So if you are gone for 8 hours, the outside most your child should be drinking is 12oz. And that should be 3 3oz bottles left. Is that how much that's being used?

Way too lazy for formula

Yay!

You can tell if your supply is OK by the diapers.
    Susan