Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Length of time at breast, misc.

Default Length of time at breast, misc.

Hi ladies! Just looking for a little reassurance/feedback - DD is 2 weeks old. Is it possible for a 2 week old to be an efficient enough nurser to drain a breast in about 6 or 7 minutes (if that)? I have a little OALD and oversupply so we are doing some things for that (spraying into towel, nursing while reclining, etc.) but she can keep up pretty well. She's also a sleepy baby. I can get her awake to drain one side but often have difficulty keeping her awake to take the other breast. Her weight gain is good - 7 pounds at birth, 8 pounds at 2 weeks! Tons of wets and poops per day. I know I shouldn't worry, but it seems like she should be nursing longer than she is per breast. And should I worry that she often doesn't take the other? I feel the need to pump the breast she doesn't take to keep up supply, but perhaps this isn't necessary. Thanks...
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Length of time at breast, misc.

Everything sounds great. Trixie was the same way. Don't pump the other side. You will end up with a bad case of oversupply if you do that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Sounds like everything is going well! If you pump, I think you'll definitely have extra milk, but you could always build up a nice stash.

I've only ever (except less than 5 times total) fed my babies from one breast and they're doing great. You don't have to offer both breasts at each feeding; offering both is more of a preference. Just make sure that you offer each breast at times so that you stay even otherwise you might end up lopsided! I personally always found it easier to just offer one and let them have at it until they were done.

Keep up the good work!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

Oversupply, tons of wets and poopies? Don't worry, and stay away from the pump!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, ladies, for the reassurance. Even though DD is baby #2 some things still feel new!
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135