Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Only nursing for 5 - 10 min max

Default Only nursing for 5 - 10 min max

My son will be 2 months old in 2 days. Starting this week he has started only nursing for 5-10 minutes a feeding. (usually closed to 5) Sometimes if I try to burp or change him and then put him back to the breast he will nurse for a couple more minutes but not always. He will begin to get fussy about an hour after nursing. at his last feeding I pumped and bottle fed to see how much he would take. He only took 1 ounce at first, I burped and changed him and then tried again and he took another ounce and a half. I have to go back to work next week and it worries me that his baby sitter wont have the patience when it takes a half hour to feed him and he wants to eat every hour-2hours. Also, hes sleeping through the night (6-9 hours) and Im worried hes not getting enough to eat throughout the day.
    So far he has been gaining weight fine, but well find out Friday at his 2 month appointment if that is still the case.

Also, I have no idea how to tell if hes hungry or not. It seems like he always wants to suck on something... so I dont know If maybe hes just eating every hour because Im feeding him every hour and thats why hes eating small amounts because hes not really hungry. But He wont keep a pacifier in his mouth and I dont want to stick one in it if hes really hungry anyway.

Ugh... I feel so frustrated and I just want to make sure hes getting enough to eat and Im worried about how a babysitter is going to handle his constant feedings when I go back to work.

Default Re: Only nursing for 5 - 10 min max

Welcome to the forum!

My first thought is this: if your babysitter cannot handle frequent feedings, you need to find a different babysitter. One who is willing to respond to your baby's very normal needs and feeding routine.

As long as baby continues to have a normal amount of wet diapers, he is getting enough to eat. It is very normal for him to nurse frequently- I know "snacking" gets a bad rap from many people, but for a breastfed baby that's a totally normal and healthy eating pattern. Some people try to encourage babies to eat large amounts infrequently, but that's teaching baby to ignore his own hunger cues and eat as much as possible every time he gets a chance- not a healthy pattern to set up for the baby's future.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Have you talked to your babysitter about it? My babysitter fed my first daughter "on demand" because she would only drink one or two ounces at a time out of the bottle.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My babies both ate every hour or so during the day. I don't think there's anything wrong with it, they have tiny tummies and are growing quickly. It sounds perfectly reasonable especially as he sleeps a long stretch at night.

Your babysitter will have to look after your baby whether he's eating or fussing. Maybe those long feedings will give her a chance to watch t.v. or surf the net!

As for wondering if he's getting enough, count wet and poopy diapers and get him weighed regularly (weekly if that makes you feel better). If he fusses, pop him on the breast, when he's full, he'll let you know. It's fine and perfectly normal for young babies to be at the breast anytime, whether food or comfort is needed.
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

This may be helpful for your babysitter: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

As far as you recognizing babies cues, with pp. I would not worry about it so much. Differentiating between 'hunger cues" and "comfort cues" seems to preoccupy moms a lot but it's not really important. When you are with baby, there is no reason at all to not offer to nurse at every cue if you like. Offering to nurse cannot possibly hurt baby, a baby will not overfeed at the breast. If baby does not want to nurse, baby won't & then you will use another comforting technique. But for most babies the breast is the easiest and quickest way to get comfort no matter what is bothering them. Babies nurse for food and comfort, doing so is entirely healthy and normal and even important, as it allows a breastfed baby to get enough to eat and maintain moms milk supply great even if baby tends to be more of a snacker as yours seems to be.