Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help!!! Ouch newborn bitng terrible pain

Default Please help!!! Ouch newborn bitng terrible pain

Hi there,

I though i have cracked nipples, but i checked with my ob its normal. My LO born one month before. I want to really breastfeed him for atleast for more than 1 year. But i am facing some difficulties wen i keep him on my breast to feed he is capturing the nipples even though if i tried to pull off or try to give him mouthful of the areola area he is slipping off to the nipple. He is biting on both my breasts, i cant explain tat dreadful and terrific pain, which makes my mom in law to ask me to stop feeding, lets start off with formula, cos he is crying and in the same time i am with full of tears coz of terrific pain.
    I have enough milk for him as of now. But not able to breastfeed him happily with full of tears and pain only i am feeding, i am worried whether my nipples will be wounded which will make me to not feed him anymore. Please help i am very curious to feed him this precious milk.suggest some advice.
    Can i breast pump the milk and feed him so that i can avoid pain
    or can i use nipple shield to give him milk.

Default Re: Please help!!! Ouch newborn bitng terrible pain

So you think you have cracks, but the ob says no? Can you describe the appearance of your nipples for us? For example:
    -Do you see any cracks?
    -How about areas that appear blistered or scabbed?
    -Is the skin of the nipple more pink or red than normal, do you see any flaking or peeling skin?
    -When baby unlatches after nursing, are your nipples shaped more like pencil erasers (symmetrical) or more like new lipsticks (asymmetrical, creased, or wedged)?

Your baby is a month old. Have you been having problems since birth, or is the pain you are experiencing new?

You say your MIL is being unhelpful, pushing formula on you. Can you or your husband ask her to kindly stop suggesting it? When a mom is having difficulties, she does not need to have her fragile confidence undermined!

To answer your questions:
    - Yes, you can pump milk for your baby and avoid pain from nursing, but it's often not a good idea. Pumping may seem like the easy way out right now, but in the long run it is much, much harder than nursing. It takes longer, it is harder to maintain milk supply, it requires mom to do huge amounts of additional work to produce, store, warm, feed, and transport milk, etc. However, if nursing is so excruciating that you are unable to face it, it's probably okay to introduce a bottle or two per day. And if you skip feedings, you must pump, or your milk supply will quickly dwindle away.
    -Using a nipple shield may be a good solution for you. However, shields can reduce milk transfer to the baby and result in low supply, so it is important to use them with guidance from a professional. Do you have a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, available to you? I think you would really benefit from some hands-on help.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nipples are flat before feeding and it gets enlarged once i start feeding, i feel strong pain in my left nipples.
    S ihave cracks after feeding.
    its itching and burnin even after feeding.
    its not completely peeled off but slightly.
    symmetrical
    no i am feeling this painafter 7 days of his birth.
    so please suggest can i use nipple shield on tat breast alone. or breast pump tat side and feed to baby till it heals. i wonder whether nipple shield will work out as i dont have more supply, its not coming out wen he drinks i feel difficulties in tat also. I would like to feed him with patience.
    Pls advice me to feed him. Just now i fed him, i felt strong pain in my left breast so even my hubby telling me to quit feeding and fed him with some other formulas as he is scared tat our baby will get fix or something as he cries more cos i am trying to pull him off from my breast often as i feel pain.
    i have consulted LC in our area. she suggested me one technique, giving mouthful of breast, but i am unsuccessful if i try to follow tat as he is slipping off from areola area to nipples.
    i will be greatful to you if you suggest some ideas for good latching. thanks.

Nurse frequently. A minmum of 10-12 times a 24 hour day. For latch pain, Try laid back positions http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/ and http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf Or try any other nursing positions.

A Nipple shield will, at best, only mask the pain temporarily but will do nothing to solve the underlying problem. If baby is capable of latching and extracting milk, then a nipple shield is not the correct tool for you. They are not usually recommended for nipple pain. But, if you have no other options and want to try it on one side only, you could. Certainly it is better to nurse with a shield than to pump and give bottles. Read shield instructions CAREFULLY. They are tricky to put on correctly. You will need to pump at least a bit while using the shield to ensure milk supply is not affected.

Just now i fed him, i felt strong pain in my left breast so even my hubby telling me to quit feeding and fed him with some other formulas as he is scared tat our baby will get fix or something as he cries more cos i am trying to pull him off from my breast often as i feel pain.
    Pain deep in your breast, or nipple pain, or both? Nursing cannot hurt your baby. You can tell if baby is getting enough breastmilk by his pees and poops. If you supplement or for any reason miss a feeding at the breast, you need to pump or hand express or you will hurt your milk supply, and risk engorgement, plugged ducts and mastitis.

i have consulted LC in our area. she suggested me one technique, giving mouthful of breast, but i am unsuccessful if i try to follow tat as he is slipping off from areola area to nipples.
    That seems like not alot of help for a lactation consultant appointment. Can you see her again? Did you see her or talk to her on the phone? Can you see someone for a real face to face appointment-90 minutes or so? Preferably an IBCLC? see www.ilca.org