Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: a whole host of issues

Default a whole host of issues

Hi llladies, I could use some input on my dilemma.

DS is 5 months as of yesterday. For the first 4.5 months, he was the sweetest easiest baby. But I feel like someone has switched him with his difficult doppelganger or something. Good news is, he still eats well given allowances for distractability, and poops a ton. (Is it possible for a EBF baby to poop too much?) Bad news is that for the past week we've had a million coinciding problems:
    -we've been on a roadtrip to visit family, thus the normal routine is out.
    -top two teeth are really making themselves known: big lumps, crazy drool, fussiness.
    -baby is refusing naps during the day, he's always been a bad napper, but he won't go down for love nor money now.
    -if he does nap, it has to be in my arms, and I'm pinned in place, I can't even move my legs when they fall asleep. I think this is just his normal, but I thought I'd mention that.
    -when I finally do get him to sleep, he keeps waking up screaming, clearly in pain.
    -for the teething, I've tried frozen washcloths, knuckles, teething tablets, nothing seems to help for long, although they all help somewhat.

So my question is this, can this all be put down to teething/routine disruption? Or is there something else going on, like an ear infection? We're heading home today, but it will probably be a couple days before we could make it to the doctor's.

Oh yeah, also, why can't you give a baby under 6 mo ibuprofen? I did last night in desperation, since he's 21 maybe 22 lbs and it is supposed to be by weight, right?

TIA!

Default Re: a whole host of issues

It sounds like more than teething to me. Can you go to a pediatrician's office in your families town? Have you checked to see if he has a fever?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

no fever. I guess I could try to see a doc here, unsure about insurance, but will look it up/ find out.

You could also make an appointment with your own pediatrician for tomorrow if you're going home today. It's just that a baby that won't be put down, combined with sleep being off and crying during sleep sounds like a sick baby to me.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Our pediatrician told me that you're not supposed to give ibuprofen before 6 months because it is an extremely effective fever reducer and giving it may impede ability to identify an excessive fever that acetaminophen wouldn't be able to fully bring down. I think there was another reason too, but I don't remember what it was. At any rate he didn't seem to think it was really such a big deal if it was given prior to 6 months. I wouldn't worry about a single dose (or even a second if it is needed).

It sounds like it could be an ear infection (mine had one with no fever) or other malady. I'd get to a doctor as soon as you can.

Have you by any chance tried massage? At that age their joints are growing and getting used a lot, and I've always found that with travel and sleep disruption a good leg massage helps to ease the pain. If there's no fever it may be an ear infection, but also may be as simple as muscle discomfort.

When my daughters wake with growing pains I gently rub joints, starting with the knees and ankles and working to the hip, back, arms. It's almost always the knees and hips that really relax them, though.

Also, just a thought, with travel sometimes my kids get overtired and overstimulated and exhibit ALL those symptoms. Hopefully it passes soon and he feels better.

Yeah, even before the ibuprofen there was no fever, it's good to know what the concern is with giving it. I'm keeping its use to a min. anyway, but it seemed like it was time to try something.
    I'll give the massage a shot, too. We haven't been doing much car-riding since we got here, but we have been sleeping on the floor. I'm guessing overtiredness is a big culprit, it's so hard to get him to nap, and maybe when his naps get interrupted is when he's waking up freaking out.
    Today seems a little better, hopefully it won't get worse as the afternoon wears on.

It sounds a lot like routine disruption and teething to me. Perhaps sickness: I'd get him checked out just to be sure.

And don't you hate it when your normally charming baby turns into a pod baby? So frustrating!

My DS is very, very sensitive emotionally. For him, major routine changes (strange places, a lot of arguing, lots of guests, etc., I don't mean like being two hours late for bed) really upset him. He takes everything so personally... And he gets so upset. He won't nap unless it's in my arms, he wakes frequently, whimpering, and so on and on and on. Is your LO a sensitive guy? I'm not sure that this is your problem, I am just thinking out loud and am wondering if it could be part of what's up. When my little guy is teething or not feeling well, somehow the whole world falls apart when his routine changes!
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

You know, nicola, you may be right, especially if sensitivity of that nature can be inherited, lol. Maybe just all the "pass-the-baby" and general commotion overwhelmed him as much as it did me.
    I'm massaging him when he's been still for too long, like in the carseat, I think he likes it.
    Things seem to be a lot better now, being home. I am going to keep watching him to make sure he doesn't seem sick, but he only had 1 quite fussy spell today and got a lot more sleep! Hooray!

I was wondering about this yesterday. Glad he's doing better. And, yes, pass the baby bugs a lot of babies. I drew the line with DD1 because she had similar reactions.