Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Another poop quesiton (or lack thereof)

Default Another poop quesiton (or lack thereof)

ok, DS is going to be 6 months old on Thursday, he's exclusively BF and he hasn't pooped in 2 weeks.

Seems to be happy (though he's cutting a tooth which makes it hard to tell), belly is nice and soft. He's fussy at home with the nanny now, but I think it's cause I'm at work. over the weekend he took nice long naps which is a big deal for him, so I don't think his tummy is bothering him.

doc wanted him to have juice, but I'm not excited about that, so instead we're going in to get him checked out in a few hours.

What should I be prepared to refuse? I don't want him to be poked and proded or miralax'd if its not necessary. The nurse said in an EBF baby they get concerned with no poop for 5 days, but I know that can be short - which is why I didn't call until it'd be 14...

thanks everyone!
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!

Default Re: Another poop quesiton (or lack thereof)

Don't let them stick their pinky in his butt. They did that when I took DJ in after no poop for 9 days and he was pretty severely upset by that. And rightly so.

Way too lazy for formula

The record for no poops in a healthy, gaining breastfed baby that I have personally heard of is 19 days.

I don't see why this is an issue if baby is otherwise generally happy and OK. If baby starts to strain, that will be obvious to one and all and you can decide what to do about things at that point. Yes the poop when it comes will likely be big and may cause some discomfort, but as I recall, unless a breastfed baby is straining to go and passing a dry poop they are not constipated per Dr. Sears.

When my oldest became an infrequent pooper my pediatrician told us to use glycerin suppositories if he did not poop at least once every single day! But I realized later my baby was not constipated and this was totally unnecessary!

This is a smart baby. He's trying to set a world record! I personally wouldn't be worried as long as he's happy. Remember when DD did something similar, when it finally came, she filled 7 diapers in a row!

I bet if he hasn't pooped by today, it will be tomorrow. It's going to be a big one!!!
    Canadian mom and breastmilk fan.
    We have 2 beautiful children: Luana who's 9 y/o, had breastmilk for 2 years and is smart as a whip. Lucas who came out kickin', is 4 y/o and continues to enjoy his milkies.

ok, we're on day 15, no poop. Still seems to be a happy baby but now even I am starting to worry a little.

We introduced prunes a couple days ago try to to help (6 months old tomorrow) but still nothing doing.

Doc has requested we try a suppository tonight then go tomorrow morning if nothing happens.

This tooth he's cutting hasn't made this whole process easier! At this rate he'll have cut 2 teeth between poops.
    Hi, I'm Seph!
    DD born - 5/12/09 5lbs 15oz, and now she's 27 lbs! weaned with love at 19 months.
    DS born - 10/12/11 8 lbs 1 oz, over 19 pounds now at 8.5 months and still nursing like a champ!
    I survived 3 solid months of a 10 food elimination diet and 22 months of a limited diet between my 2 children. I don't even remember what a peanut is.
    for 21 months!
    6 time conqueror of mastitis! (2 times without abx!)
    Have milk, will fly!