Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will baby remember how to nurse?

Default Will baby remember how to nurse?

I'm having anxiety about something. I've been nursing my baby in her sleep for 2 1/2 months now and she still tries to roll away if I offer to nurse when she's awake. She is even popping off some in her sleep. Should I continue to offer when she's awake? I'm not putting too much pressure on her, but I'm also not getting anywhere.

If I quit offering completely when she's awake, then will she remember that milk comes from my boobs?

She will latch on to anything fleshy and just sucks and sucks. But not my nipple.

I am just starting to wonder if she even KNOWS that sucking at my breast is how she is fed. When she's awake and she'll let me, I squirt milk in her mouth and she licks her lips and swallows. But after a few minutes, she kinda loses interest.

Am I overthinking it?? I just don't want to get to a place where she doesn't even know HOW to nurse awake.

I haven't been giving bottles. I pretty much gave up on that. It makes her about as mad as offering the breast.

She's also sleeping more I feel like. Or actually more often. Yesterday, she took four little 45 minute naps. She is awake for like an hour and then she's rubbing her eyes so I let her go back to bed and nurse her again in her sleep.

I just still can't understand why this is lasting so long. I feel like she has a serious aversion to my breasts!

I am constantly battling her thumb. Even in her sleep. What could that be?! I tuck one hand under my hand gently and she's reaching for the other thumb.

I would never wish this on anyone but if more ppl had experienced it, there would be more information on it. :/

Default Re: Will baby remember how to nurse?

bump

How's her weight gain doing mama?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

My 1st only really nursed at night until 6months. I kept offering her in the day and every so often she would latch and take a few sucks. I wouldn't force but I would def offer. She didn't forget how to nurse, it's instinctive as long as they are nursing, i think, even if it is when they are asleep. My 1st nursed till 2 and half, she then stopped for 3months and then decided she wanted to nurse again but had forgotten how. If you nurse her in her sleep, do you sometimes let her wake up nursing? So nurse her, say 20 mins before she is due to wake up and let her wake up latched on, that might help her get used to it again.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How's her weight gain doing mama?
    good, I think. I bought a scale and she gained 5.5 oz. in a week. I've only had it a week. I weigh her naked 1st thing in the morning. Her output is good.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jah73 View Post
    My 1st only really nursed at night until 6months. I kept offering her in the day and every so often she would latch and take a few sucks. I wouldn't force but I would def offer. She didn't forget how to nurse, it's instinctive as long as they are nursing, i think, even if it is when they are asleep.
    Okay, I think I will keep offering during the day. But I'm confused as to when the best time to offer is. Based on the IBCLC, offering when she wasn't "hungry" was putting her off, but I have read that offering when they're not to the hungry point is best because they're less frantic. Thoughts on this?? I haven't seen results in favor of one way or the other so far. I just want to be moving forward. Even tiny little steps. I don't want to be making it easier for her to not nurse awake. For now, I wonder if she thinks "I go to sleep hungry and wake up full".

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jah73 View Post
    If you nurse her in her sleep, do you sometimes let her wake up nursing? So nurse her, say 20 mins before she is due to wake up and let her wake up latched on, that might help her get used to it again.
    I'm too scared to miss a feeding. Sometimes she sleeps 30 minutes, sometimes an hour and half. I never know which. So I lay her down to nap and set my timer for 10 minutes and then sneak back in there to nurse her. HOWEVER, sometime she does wake up nursing. Those are the best playtimes we have at the breast. Those are the times she will let me squirt milk in her mouth and she blows bubbles and laughs while she's in my arms.

Also, I'm still really trying to hit 8 feedings a day minimum, 10 makes me thrilled tho! Is 8 good tho?? What's the minimum for a 4.5 mo old? There are times throughout the day that I can tell she just has the unsettled feeling where I know a little milk and suckling would comfort her, and I offer and it doesn't work. I know all those little conversational nursings are good for a supply too, so I guess I feel like the 10 feedings is making up for missing out on those.
    Last edited by @llli*midwestmama2010; April 11th, 2012 at 11:05 AM. Reason: to fix my bolding goof

8 is great! It sounds like you are doing really great, even though I am sure it is quite dis-heartening. Hang in there mama!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Not that I'm an expert, but if you still have OS/OALD, then I would wait long enough after a sleep feed that she would be hungry but not starving. I know with my babe that she doesn't appreciate loads of milk if she isn't hungry! However if, as you said in a previous post,your supply has regulated and it is taking a while for the milk to start flowing, I wouldn't wait till she is hungry or else she may get frustrated waiting for milk. Whatever the case,just make sure you give her the opportunity to nurse whilst awake and hopefully one day soon,she will surprise you, my 1st one did, I'm just hoping my 2nd one does too! Did you finish reading the link I sent previously?