Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is She Ready?

Default Re: Is She Ready?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*auderey View Post
    "they" say to avoid berries before a year, but I actually don't know why. My lo LOVED Blueberries (smooshed) at 8 mos.
    I think it is because berries are potentially allergenic. If there is no family history of allergies, I wouldn't worry about it. My son was eating (and loving) crab at 10 months.

I steamed or roasted a lot of veggies to start out. My son loved asparagus, broccoli, green beans, sweet potato, zucchini, eggplant. Just cook until soft and cut into spears (asparagus are great because they are already spears, and they were a favorite in our house for a long time).

See that's what I was wondering about with the blueberries; Katie loves Gerbers Blueberry Pear and I would love to offer her some fresh berries. I appreciate the other comment about high allergen foods as well. Keep the pointers coming, please.
    Taylor Don 10/24/98-11/22/98
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Crab meat? Wow! I guess babies are not meant to be little programmable machines.
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

I think blueberries should be fine. My baby also really likes strawberries. Sometimes I cut them into small pieces, other times I just cut the leaves off and she munches on the strawberry whole.

ETA: Also, I believe that blueberries are not included in the allergenic berries list. I will look it up...

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.c...oodrecipes.htm
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

wonderful link pp thanx
    Katie Elena 8/24/11

Yeah all my kids were eating berries before 1. The only thing about blue berries is they are perfectly round, I would cut them in half, to prevent choking. My kids love smoothies, so I was usually making smoothies with frozen berries. And yup my kids love crab meat too! And lobster.....lol today baby thought he would have some bacon, but I did say no to that. lol hahaha

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Also, I believe that blueberries are not included in the allergenic berries list. I will look it up...
    Right! I forgot that! Plus, if your baby has eaten the puréed form without a reaction, then the real form of the same food isn't an allergy concern.

I just remembered that fish is another great starter food. It is soft and flakes apart really easily so there is very little, if any, concern about choking. I would just be careful to choose low mercury fish. I usually stick with salmon because it is among the lowest mercury concentrations, has some of the highest levels of healthy fats, and it is very versatile (you can grill, roast, poach, etc.). We started salmon sometime between 7-8 months. Ginger glazed roasted salmon is one of my son's favorite foods!

10mo apple.JPG

This is DS at 10mo. He just got his top teeth and was pretty excited.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Is that an apple? By himself? My daughter likes to suck the juice out of apples, where I've taken a bite of course. He is actually eating that sucker by himself? Wow again!
    Katie Elena 8/24/11