Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Waking to feed

Default Waking to feed

Hi all
    Any thoughts on waking a baby to feed? Dd2 is nearly 6 weeks, and colicky but otherwise healthy (good gain, normal pee & poop). Most nights she's hungry after a first 4 hr sleep and then every 3ish through to morning. On the rare night that she doesnt wake in her normal pattern, I'm torn whether to wake her or let her sleep :dunno:.

Should I or shouldnt I? I'm not sure, especially at 2am
    Proud Wife to my Kyler 10/02/08
    Proud Mum to our Sarah 07/03/10 and Laura 02/03/12

Btdt: CS & VBAC
    Enjoying BFing- so much better the 2nd time (thanks lll ladies!)
    I love to with my Beco butterfly 2 and enjoying
    Happy SAHM, & Backyard farmer (I <3 chickens! [hoping to raise sheep for my budding fibre art passion, maybe a cow for a growing cheese habit ])

Default Re: Waking to feed

I'd let her sleep. The general advice is to wake them until 6 weeks but you're nearly there and it sounds like everything is going the way it should.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sleep.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My daughter is 8 weeks old and I have woken her once, last week. It was after she had slept for 5 hours at night and I was starting to get pretty engorged. Other than that she wakes herself up without any problems. I would keep sleeping as long as everything is going well!

Yes I would say let baby sleep in this particular case, although if you get uncomfortably full, there is no reason, imo, to not go ahead and try to get baby to nurse just because it is often easier to nurse than pulling out the pump or even hand expressing. Also you don't necessarily need to wake baby up, if held close to the breast and given access many babies will latch and nurse in their sleep.