Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help ASAP finally bf after 10 wks of refusal

Default Help ASAP finally bf after 10 wks of refusal

I recd wonderful supportive advise four weeks ago on how to encourage baby to breast after refusing following traumatic head injury at birth. I've been EPing for the past 10 weeks and finally had success getting baby to bf in last 48 hours

I've been only bf in this time but he isn't having a great wet/dirty diaper count and that worries me. He used to have heavy wet diapers every 3-4hr feed and two large dirty ones a day. Now he's only had one large dirty diaper in 24 hrs and moderately wet every 5 hours

I'm not sure if I should still supplement bmilk as well as nursing. I really didn't want to but maybe I should. He was taking 5 oz bm from the bottle. I've pumped a few times and seem to have good supply and he's got a good latch and is swallowing.

He's feeding every 4 hours and starts strong for about 20 mins then gets sleepy and I fight another 20-40 mins with him.

Pls any advise would be appreciated. After working so incredibly hard to bf I want to be successful but not sure how to transition from EPing to exclusively BF

Pls help ASAP. thank you!!!!

Default Re: Help ASAP finally bf after 10 wks of refusal

Based on diaper output, things are probably okay. But I think it makes sense to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, and have her evaluate your LO's nursing effectiveness. You might want to rent a professional scale and do some pre- and post-feeding weighings. Subtract the before from the after and you get the amount your baby took in while nursing. Many LCs do weigh-feed-weigh tests in their offices but that only provides a single snapshot of your baby's feeding effectiveness. Some babies nurse really well at the LC's, and some nurse terribly. But several days' worth of data gives you a good idea of how much your baby really takes in, on average.

The other thing that would help is to offer more often than every 4 hours. Every 4 hours is just 6 nursing sessions per day, which is at the extreme low end for a baby this age. Most 10 week olds are feeding at least 8 times per day, and I think you want to aim for that at a minimum.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Based on diaper output, things are probably okay. But I think it makes sense to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, and have her evaluate your LO's nursing effectiveness. You might want to rent a professional scale and do some pre- and post-feeding weighings. Subtract the before from the after and you get the amount your baby took in while nursing. Many LCs do weigh-feed-weigh tests in their offices but that only provides a single snapshot of your baby's feeding effectiveness. Some babies nurse really well at the LC's, and some nurse terribly. But several days' worth of data gives you a good idea of how much your baby really takes in, on average.

The other thing that would help is to offer more often than every 4 hours. Every 4 hours is just 6 nursing sessions per day, which is at the extreme low end for a baby this age. Most 10 week olds are feeding at least 8 times per day, and I think you want to aim for that at a minimum.

And it is wonderful that you are trying to transition! BFing will, in the long run, be easier than EPing.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thank you for your responses

I'm offering all of the time. He only takes about every four hours but he's nursing for over an hour on and off. He seems
    sleepy most of the time after nursing for about 10 mins.

I am working with a certified lactation consultant and had her here yesterday morning. She watched him nurse and weighed him. She said he had a great latch, mouth wide, lips flanged and his chin was moving effectively. Ive paid her a small fortune to assist me I'm just left feeling so unsure.

I posted at a time when I couldn't reach out to her thinking getting some other feedback would help.
    especially when I was so worried. I was hoping to get some encouraging feedback as this has been an extremely difficult 10 weeks trying to pump and attempt BF. I'm feeling very unsure of myself which is saying a lot as I'm a mom who has bf 3 children for well over a year each without ever having difficulty. The issue is that it was 24, 18 and 15 years ago. Things have been so hard this time it's hammered at my confidence.

If he's not getting enough is it usually a latch problem? Is it possible the LC just saw him during a good feed? I just cant afford to keep having to pay for advise, its expensive and I dont have the money at all. I was hoping to get some education
    Support and feedback here from other Moms
    Last edited by @llli*bigmama41; April 10th, 2012 at 08:35 AM.

If he isn't getting enough,it could be a latch problem. Or a sucking problem. Or a supply problem.

But the best place to start is by renting a scale and seeing if he transfers milk well. If not, then you re-evaluate. But if the LC thought his latch was OK, then it isn't as likely to be a latch problem, like tongue tie or something like that.

Let baby nurse on demand, but you might need to wake him in between times. Every 4 hours is on the minimum I like to see. The nursing on and off for an hour is OK, and if you start with the breast you ended with, he gets more fatty hindmilk, which helps him grow.

In the meantime, you watch wets and stools.

I totally understand how you feel, as I successfully breastfed my three older babies and then had a cleft baby who was unable to nurse.

Your insurance company might pay for lactation services. Something to check into, anyway.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When transferring from bottle to breastfeeding, it is typically very difficult for a mom to feel confident baby is getting enough. So it is normal you are concerned. Even though you are an experienced nursing mom, with this baby you have spent all this time knowing exactly how much baby is getting and now there is no way to know that, and that can be a bit scary!

I am sure the moms here want to offer support and suggestions and are very happy to do so. It is just impossible for us to tell for sure if there is any need to BE concerned about how much baby is getting. A drop off in output (especially at this age) could possibly mean something or it may not mean anything. Weight gain over time would be a good indicator but typically you don't want to weigh baby constantly as that will only stress you out. So it is very good you have gotten some 'in person' breastfeeding assistance.

It sounds like your LC thinks all is well, she actually saw you and baby so that is a good indication all IS well. Many LC's allow free follow up calls if you have more questions for her, also just doing a couple more B4 and after weight checks if you like should not cost much, you may even be able to do them free, depending on what is available in your area. I would suggest talking to your LC and seeing what else she can do, LC's are trained professionals and should be paid for their services, but on the other hand I have never met an LC who is doing it just for the money. In my experience they really have a passion to help moms and if you are continuing to have concerns but cannot pay there may still be something else she can do. This may not be needed, but it is something you can look into if you like. If you would like more hands on help and your LC cannot help you further or it is too expensive, you could also call your local LLL or ask your baby's pediatrician, hospital, health services, WIC, breastfeeding coalition etc if there are any low cost ways to get further assistance in your area.

When you were bottle feeding, how much was baby getting? One possibility is that it may have been a bit more than baby actually needed, as babies will often overfeed with bottles but not at the breast. That alone could explain a drop in output.

He's feeding every 4 hours and starts strong for about 20 mins then gets sleepy and I fight another 20-40 mins with him.
    20 minutes seems like a very good amount of time for a baby to be nursing at each session, especially if they are actively sucking/swallowing for most of that time. Is there a reason you are wanting baby to nurse longer than that?

If you are still concerned about baby getting enough:
    Tips to get more milk in baby:

Keep trying to nurse more often. Offer to nurse at earliest cues, and offer just anytime you like. Just 1 or 2 more nursing sessions a day can make a huge difference. Gently encourage baby to nurse, but don’t stress about it, pressure is not good for either of you. See tips here: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Try breast compressions to keep baby actively sucking. See: http://nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_...tion&Itemid=17

If latch is comfortable for you and baby is swallowing, latch is probably fine.

This can be a scary transition but you are doing really fantastic getting baby nursing at the breast after all this time!