Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pumping/Nursing Problems

Default Pumping/Nursing Problems

My first experience with breastfeeding was both painful and difficult. It took about 40 to 60 minutes to nurse my child each session. My nipples were cracked and I had mastitis. I saw two lactation consultants, both not helping me correct the problem. Eventually, I stopped nursing because I was going insane. Almost two years later, my second child was born prematurely - at 26 weeks. I have been pumping every three hours. My mastitis came back, but I learned how to do compressions (which helped). It takes 40 to 60 minutes to pump any acceptable amount (with a double pump), and I am barely producing enough to maintain my premature baby's needs. I have met with two lactation consultants, one saying that I probably have small milk ducts (which is why I clog often, and why it takes so long to pump). I have not met another woman with this specific problem, and I don't feel like I fit into the "textbook" pumping/nursing scenario. I have done my reading, met with professionals, and tried all the tricks in the book. Am I alone with this problem?

Default Re: Pumping/Nursing Problems

A few questions:what exact pump are you using? How much are you getting each time you pump? Are you nursing at all as well? Are you taking any supplements for supply or for recurrent clogs?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I am using Ameda Purely Yours. I express between 1 and 1.5 ounces each time I pump. We are just starting to nurse at the NICU, with only a handful of successful latches. No supplements - all the LCs at the NICU did not recommend herbal supplements for a baby that was born at 26 weeks.

That's the wrong pump. An exclusively pumping mom should be using a hospital-grade pump with properly sized shields, which should have been the LCs' very first suggestion! The APY is a good pump for a working mom with an established milk supply whose baby is nursing well, but it's not what you need right now.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

When was your baby born? If it was in the last few days to week, 1 oz per session is still in the low but reasonable range. I have an OS when I nurse, but my supply was slow to come in, and he was 9 days old before I had any extra to save.

I would try a hospital grade pump. I like the PY myself and think its a good pump, but if you are doing a lot of pumping -- 8-12 sessions a day for a total of 120 minutes is what you should be doing -- a hospital grade pump is much easier on you and usually more efficient. Try different sized flanges as well, as sometime you have better results with what doesn't seem correct.

I had a super hard time getting milk to come out, and I'm on the extreme end of things with an OALD and OS, when I had to start EPing for my fourth child. I don't let down well to a pump. I have met and worked with a couple moms who didn't let down well at all. One went to hand expressing, which worked for enr and she only had 3 oz to express. The other had a multitude of issues going on and eventually gave up. IF, and it's a big IF, you can find oxytocin spray, it might help, but it might not.

What did they say about taking domperidone or reglan? I don't know too, too much about medications, mother's milk and premature babies.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I did use a hospital grade pump until this week. We are day 74 in the NICU and just changed hospitals. The pump needed to be returned when we were transferred. This is why I am using the APY now. The flange is a good fit as far as I can tell. Reglan was a big NO when I asked.....

I was wondering about suppliments not really for supply but for recurrent clogged ducts-specifically lecithin

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/lecithin/

I think at that age baby would only need 1oz per feed. If you can nurse as much as you can, kangeroo care skin to skin and pump 12x per 24 hours I would think that would be the best course (with a hospital grade pump again)

what are your thoughts on that?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

I too have a nicu baby and use the Ameda that was prescribed by my WIC lactation consultant. I pump only 1.5oz every three hours and if lucky get 2oz in the middle of night when my hormones are high. My daughter was born at 30w3d and needed no assistance with breathing but shed did have a whole in her intestine which she had to undergo surgery just 24 hours after my c-section. She breathes on her own and has a colostomy bag just till the surgeon feels her intestine has healed enough to be put back together. She is on a continuous feeding of 4.5ml every hour. She tolerates my breastmilk wonderful and is gaining weight a good speed. I am drinking organic mothers milk tea five times aday and nothing seems to build up my supply but i am not giving up on the tea or breastfeeding try taking a hot shower and ask hubby to massage you and get you relaxed i have that done once every three days and pump about 3oz but after that im back to normal amount.
    BLESSED MOMMY OF TWO GIRLIES <3

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! Wish me luck!

What does your baby weigh? According to the University of Chicago, newborns need 116 calories per kilogram per day. For example, my preemie who is now 7 pounds (3.2 kg) would need 116 x 3.2 = 371.2 calories per day. If you divide that number by the average number of calories per ounce of breast milk, which is 20, that means my daughter needs approximately 18.5 ounces per day. (Pounds to kilogram conversion = pounds/2.2)

I would assume your LO is being tube fed if you are still working on latching? If so, try not to worry about your kiddo getting enough to eat, because their health care team will combine whatever breast milk you are producing with some sort of supplement whether it be formula or banked breast milk. While you are working on feeding from the breast, consider using a nipple shield to help with latch and get the baby used to feeding from the breast. The more the baby is at the breast the more milk you will produce. Also, using a supplemental nursing system can help. Recommend these options to your health care team if they haven't been already.

Now back to pumping...I used a Medela hospital grade while my LO was in the NICU and had a lot of success with that, which is why I bought the Medela Pump-in-Style for home. I still pump after every other feeding to keep up my supply since we aren't to our due date yet, and I feel like the Pump-in-Style is almost comparable to the hospital pump I was using. If you don't have one already, get a hands-free pumping bra, or make one out of an old sports bra. That way you can still do compressions AND simultaneously apply heat packs to help with flow. I bought two reusable, microwavable heat packs that I stuffed in my bra when I was first starting to pump. Not only did it feel nice and relaxing, I really thought it helped me produce more.

Eat well, LOTS of protein and adequate calories. And drink tons and tons of water. Your urine should always be colorless or near-colorless. Take whatever time you have to rest and relax (trust me). I also take Fenugreek, which was recommended by the IBCLC who works in my peds office. No side effects have been noted in babies and very few have been noted in nursing women. Here is some info on Fenugreek http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...rbs/fenugreek/

Hope this helps. Keep at it. And in closing...agree with the previous poster, do as much skin-to-skin with your baby as possible! That, above all other things, was what really helped us turn the corner with our LO!
    Last edited by @llli*larkface; April 11th, 2012 at 09:11 AM.